Pushing ESET File Security App Update Makes Real Time Protection Nonfunctional

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello,

I run ESET File Security on my production windows servers. Can someone please explain to me why updating the software makes real-time protection nonfunctional? This seems like a huge product flaw. 

What I would like to do is update the application, and schedule a time for the server to restart. Real-time protection should remain functional until the time of the restart. Why even allow updates to be applied without a reboot if this is going to be the result? 

• Administrators
  • Solution

It depends on what version you update from. If substantial changes were made in the communication between drivers and kernel, a computer restart is required for protection to work. However, such updates are rare and we don't plan to make such big changes on a regular basis. Moreover, we are bringing so-called uPCU updates to business products which will upgrade the program only after a computer restart. In the future the program will support seamless upgrade of both the program and drivers on the fly.

Hi Marcos, 

Thank you for your reply. This info helps, as I was worried this would be the case every time. Unfortunately, I cannot restart my production servers whenever I would like, so the update making real time protection non functional is somewhat of a hassle because I either need to perform an emergency reboot, or schedule a restart overnight. Until the restart happens the system will remain unprotected and that is obviously not good. 

However, it would be nice to see a warning in the protect cloud console when performing a task for update without automatic reboot as to whether or not this will be the case. If something had told me that the protection would be disabled until reboot I would have been able to make a more informed decision in this case. I may just be shouting in the wind here but anywho, thanks again for the information.