New issue with ESET Cyber Security

Today we started noticing yet more email problems, random connectivity issues, and unable to SCAN from our network devices, although we could print to the same devices.

After troubleshooting, removing and re-adding devices, installing new drivers, checking network and devices config, plus the whole nine yards on the network part, we decided to simply uninstall ESET as it has been the recent cause of all connectivity issues on macOS.

As soon as we uninstalled ESET Cyber Security, we can scan again, no more problems with connections etc.

So, I would like to ask how much more time will ESET require to fix this issues, properly implement the network filter without having it as a local VPN connection to localhost, and stop f*cking around. I definitely think you guys should fire a couple of devs and poach someone from Obdev for example, they for sure know what they're doing when it comes to network components on Apple devices.

Edited by maverickws

• Administrators

Please collect logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404 and open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

Also make sure that removing SSL ports like 443, 993, 995 from the list of ports to scan doesn't make any difference.

As for the local proxy, it is mandatory on Big Sur for protocol filtering and every AV must have it implemented like this. If an AV doesn't have a local proxy on Big Sur, it cannot filter application protocols.

Hi Marcos, I think you have mistaken me for an ESET Beta Tester or something alike.

We have our own obligations and work to do, we won't be wasting precious hours to debug a crappy software that is the image of the people working behind it.

We have completely removed ESET from our machines and we won't be installing it until we have a warranty that the problems are over. We have contacted out local ESET distributor to put a hold on our licenses until then.

Moreover, I am again very sorry that you're still not getting the point about the filters. I have posted screenshots of how a proper implementation works, yet you're still here insisting on a completely abhorrent approach to this filter. Again, an approach at the image of the people behind it.

Here's a proper Network Filter implementation:

204010534_Screenshot2020-11-24at16_27_54.png.b9d7d6d61ae65d5f9bb541b82b065269.png

Here is the piece of ... :) implementation by ESET:

269500676_Screenshot2020-11-27at13_23_53.png.c92032076d8fd262925efc6fdbe26124.png

Print this ticket and pin it to the walls of the dev's labs. Until it looks like the former, you're doing it wrong. The mediocrity is over the roof, for gods sake.

Edited by maverickws

• Administrators

Little Snitch is a firewall to my best knowledge, it doesn't provide application protocol filtering. With the new version that is coming soon which will have the firewall implemented as a system extension on Big Sur, the firewall (ie. a module not performing app protocol filtering) will work like Little Snitch.

Obviously. I'm not sure if you're deflecting or just playing dumb, but I obviously meant the implementation in regard to how it's active on the system, now if it was filtering L3 or L4. ..........

This is irrelevant to the way of how the connection is implemented to be ACTIVE.

We don't use Avast. We don't care about "others", we care about presenting the best possible solution to our customers (we're on the IT business btw). There are many mediocre players on the market but that's not who we have as reference, and mediocrity is making way in an augmenting rate by the day. We work very hard to stay away from those people.

Sometimes software comes to a stall and no new ideas come to the table, that's why some products die and others gain success, bc they reinvent themselves. Because software is evaluated every moment of every day, constantly. If we're taking time to come here and reporting this and giving pointers is because we want you guys to do it right, which will be good for your company too.

• Administrators

AV vendors can only leverage techniques allowed by the operating system. Unfortunately on Big Sur there is no other way to perform application protocol filtering than via a transparent proxy which appears among other adapters.

As you have provided a number of incorrect and inaccurate answers to a number of topics around here I’ve seen, let us know when the message is coming directly from the developers and engineers. Thank you.