Live domain list

Go to solution Solved by cyberhash,

Hello, 

Yesterday I found on my dad's pc a strange file. The file's name is livedomainlist.txt, it is in many localisations but mostly it is a shortcut to the livedomainlist.txt in localisation "Windows/System32/MailContactsCalendarSync/livedomainlists.txt". When I opened that file, there were hundreds or thousands of strange websites that I have never seen before. Only one topic I had found in the internet was on forum malwarebytes and the administration could not be sure what is it. Unfortunately I can't use VirusTotal because I am out of home for some days. Should I be worried or it is a normal file, that blocks those websites in Mail, Contacts etc? 

Thanks in advance and a happy new year! 

• Most Valued Members
  • Solution

I have the same file and i am guessing it contains a list of domains blocked by Microsoft for a variety of MS applications.

I scanned the file at VirusTotal and it was immediately detected as a trusted Microsoft file; i.e. by hash value.

The file on my device hasn't been updated since 12/2019. As such, its purpose is not for white or blacklisting. As the Malwarebytes forum reference notes, there is zip info on the web on what this file is used for. My best guess is this has something to do with a Live domain tracking project Microsoft experimented with a while back and has since abandoned. They just left the existing file in place; probably forgot about its existence.