Problem trying to renew ESET Smart Security

I Would be nice if ESET would setup into the 21st century and allow users to use their Visa/Mastercard debit cards to renew their ESET products online!!

I've never had a problem until a couple years ago. Makes me rethink my antivirus options after using ESET for over a decade

Edited by tjemartin
Forgot info

• Administrators

Purchasing a new license or renewal online using a bank card is the standard and all local e-shops should support it.

Please elaborate more on the issue that you are having.

• Most Valued Members

i always purchase with a debit card. never had a problem, did you speak with your bank in case there's a block by the bank on specific countries or companies?

There are two types of Visa/Mastercard debit cards. One is issued by your bank and is tied to your checking account. The other type are prepaid cards.

I have on occasion had issues with online purchases using the prepaid card. It appears the issue is linked to the authorization/validation methods used by the card issuer.

On a security note, it is not advisable to use debit cards tied to your bank accounts for online purchases. Additionally, some banks do not offer full fraud protection for their debit cards as done for their issued credit cards. Also note that charge back protection for disputed transactions does not apply to debit cards. 

Edited by itman

Since the OP resides in Canada, renewal would be done via Eset N.A. eStore web site.

Below is a screen shot for product purchase/renewal. I believe prepaid debit card use would be an issue on this site since a cardholder name is required which is N/A on prepaid cards. Also the web page doesn't specifically mention debit card use.

Eset_Debit.thumb.png.39012f4daca0e975a3fb178825229d30.png

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members

at least on my country's banks, in case of a prepaid card you use the full name that's on the bank records. eg. Anthony Stark.
it;s verified through their systems and the transaction completes.
but there have been cases (for greece) some retailers or shops do not accept prepaid ones.

it all depends on the bank and the online shop.

I double and triple checked my debit card info to make sure everything I was entering was correct. I did call ESET customer service one last time and after giving the Rep. my debit card info and billing address (which is Canadian), I was told by the Rep. that they have problems with Canadian debit cards..... Why? It's still 16 legit numbers, has an expiry date and a CVV code on the back of the card, so what is the problem??

I just find it asinine that in 2021 there are companies (for example ESET) who haven't joined the Paypal bandwagon. It would make a lot less headaches out there for some ESET customers who do not own or have access to a credit card for such transactions

9 hours ago, tjemartin said:

I did call ESET customer service one last time and after giving the Rep. my debit card info and billing address (which is Canadian), I was told by the Rep. that they have problems with Canadian debit cards..... Why? It's still 16 legit numbers, has an expiry date and a CVV code on the back of the card, so what is the problem??

Appears it depends on whether your debit card is restricted to use only within Canada:

Note: the debit-only places won't take US debit cards since they function through the credit card network in Canada. Canadian debit cards are on the Interac network and do not work on the credit card network. (Some banks have credit-card-like debit cards now too but they function on Interac in Canada, and using the credit card network when outside the country.) – Jim MacKenzie Apr 8 '18 at 21:17

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/112712/can-i-use-us-bank-issued-credit-debit-cards-in-canada#comment274511_112714

I believe most Visa/Mastercard sponsored bank issued debit cards can be used internationally but some countries have problems.

You need to contact your bank about use of your debit card outside of Canada.

Your complaint should be why Eset N.A. does not have a relationship with financial concerns outside of the U.S. in countries that they support to handle payments originating from those countries?

Edited by itman

In regards to why Eset won't accept Paypal payments, Eset licenses have geographic restrictions; both for purchase and use. Paypal payments in regards to purchaser identity are anonymous as to origin of the purchaser.

Your financial information

PayPal helps keep your transactions secure by not sharing your full financial information with sellers.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

Edited by itman

13 hours ago, itman said:

Appears it depends on whether your debit card is restricted to use only within Canada:

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/112712/can-i-use-us-bank-issued-credit-debit-cards-in-canada#comment274511_112714

I believe most Visa/Mastercard sponsored bank issued debit cards can be used internationally but some countries have problems.

You need to contact your bank about use of your debit card outside of Canada.

Your complaint should be why Eset N.A. does not have a relationship with financial concerns outside of the U.S. in countries that they support to handle payments originating from those countries?

Hello, thank you for your reply. For what it's worth, I travel regularly (at least a couple times a year) to visit friends and family that live in the Philadelphia, PA area and have had no problems using my Canadian debit card at various stores and even restaurants (Not to mention I ordered things from the US Amazon site and never had any problem.

I apologize if I'm repeating myself here, but when calling up my bank's customer service (TD CanadaTrust) and having them look into the issue, even they are stumped as to why my card isn't being charged. I don't know much about the internal dealings with banks, but the Bank rep I spoke with on the phone told me that even if someone attempts to use my debit card (whether successful or otherwise), a transactional type record will show, but they had said there were no attempts to charge my card, even though I called up and spoke with an ESET customer rep more than a couple of times to try and renew my ESET product.

I am just very frustrated at the issue since prior to last year, I had no problems renewing my ESET product.

A couple more discussion points on this issue.

If you have a Visa or MasterCard logo debit card and the merchant accepts either in credit card form, they must also accept a debit card for payment by either. If they don't, they are in violation with their existing payment processing agreement with Visa or MasterCard. Something for you to check out. If this is the case, you can file a formal complaint with  Visa or MasterCard.

The only other reason I can think of is why a merchant wouldn't accept a debit card deals with payment issues. A debit card transaction is for all practical purposes the same a bank check transaction. When a credit card is used, the payment is made by the card issuer to the merchant. However with a debit card transaction, the payment is made by the card issuing bank. If the card holder's checking account lacks sufficient funds to cover the transaction amount, the payment is denied to the merchant. In the case of a Eset license debit card purchase, I really don't see the risk to Eset here. If payment was subsequently denied, all Eset has to do is cancel the license.

15 minutes ago, itman said:

A couple more discussion points on this issue.

If you have a Visa or MasterCard logo debit card and the merchant accepts either in credit card form, they must also accept a debit card for payment by either. If they don't, they are in violation with their existing payment processing agreement with Visa or MasterCard. Something for you to check out. If this is the case, you can file a formal complaint with  Visa or MasterCard.

The only other reason I can think of is why a merchant wouldn't accept a debit card deals with payment issues. A debit card transaction is for all practical purposes the same a bank check transaction. When a credit card is used, the payment is made by the card issuer to the merchant. However with a debit card transaction, the payment is made by the card issuing bank. If the card holder's checking account lacks sufficient funds to cover the transaction amount, the payment is denied to the merchant. In the case of a Eset license debit card purchase, I really don't see the risk to Eset here. If payment was subsequently denied, all Eset has to do is cancel the license.

Not sure where you came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough in my account to cover the transaction. I had more than enough to renew my ESET License, I'm not that dense. JFC

11 minutes ago, tjemartin said:

Not sure where you came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough in my account to cover the transaction. I had more than enough to renew my ESET License, I'm not that dense. JFC

I never stated or implied that. I was just stating a justification for any merchant not wanting to accept a debit card.