Unlicenced prematurely

DrTeeth

I have 6 PCs with ESET AV (just renewed).

As new licences are cheaper than upgrades from ESET UK that is what I have bought. 3 PCs' licenes expire on the 26th of this month and the other three on the 27th.

One of the latter group becomes unregistered even when the licence is still valid - the other 5 PCs are still okay.. It accepts the correct licence info to become re-registered. Why is this happening and do I need to worry?

Thanks

DrT

That can't be right, afaik renewals should always be cheaper than buying a new license.

I just checked and I guess you mean that new licenses are cheaper (right now) because of the 25% off promo that they got till June 30. ?  :) That's nice our distributor never have deals like that.

hxxp://www.eset.co.uk/

Edited by SweX

You are right, renewals SHOULD be cheaper, but they are only cheaper than ESET's inflated new licence price. The new licences are cheaper still from Amazon.co.uk. I saved approx £10 over the ESET discounted price. ALL AV companies sell their own products at a higher price than regular retail outlets. I have never come across any exceptions to this.

The cheapest option for me by far was new licences from Amazon.

I have 6 PCs with ESET AV (just renewed).

As new licences are cheaper than upgrades from ESET UK that is what I have bought. 3 PCs' licenes expire on the 26th of this month and the other three on the 27th.

One of the latter group becomes unregistered even when the licence is still valid - the other 5 PCs are still okay.. It accepts the correct licence info to become re-registered. Why is this happening and do I need to worry?

Thanks

DrT

Hello , this sounds all to familiar of having 4 PC -s with x3license, and 2 with the other x3license.

Sorry for your troubles, and possibly a moderator can check out your usernames/EAV's to see if there is a problem.

The licences are definitely correctly applied - the different expiry days tell me that. I made really sure of this when setting things up. I would assume that if things were set up as you postulate, a copy would not have remained registered for nearly a year.

I'm sure ESET will get to the bottom of it. I really just want to check if this issue will cause problems when the new licence is applied.

Thanks to you both for your help so far.

Cheers

DrT

You are right, renewals SHOULD be cheaper, but they are only cheaper than ESET's inflated new licence price. The new licences are cheaper still from Amazon.co.uk. I saved approx £10 over the ESET discounted price. ALL AV companies sell their own products at a higher price than regular retail outlets. I have never come across any exceptions to this.

The cheapest option for me by far was new licences from Amazon.

Yeah many people search on Amazon because good deals can be found there, it's a good way to save money just as you say. Ebay is another story though, I have heard several storys about fake licenses and what not. "$2 license come and buy" yeah right.

IMO renewals should be 40-50% off a new license price. It's no secret that good prices keep customers around. ESET is working so good as a software (test detection rates is not everything) it is important for me that the software works smoothly as well and is very stable on the system. That is another factor why I am prepared to pay to use great software. Is it worth $60 for the first year? Yes it is, the quality of the software is that high. But yeah renewals should indeed be a bit cheaper than they are today, since many people look at the price first and then the actual software. "An AV is an AV" that is what the average person thinks, or "this AV got 100% detection rate in recent tests" etc... but they don't care about the actual software and how it works. But that's one of several things that really matters to me.

Edited by SweX

Hello,

ESET is a great product. From a re-seller's point of view, "It is so easy to sell !" I could sell the renewals at the FULL cost and my customers would still buy, but i won't !

Everyday, everyday, everyday, i am staring at laptops with trojans, and worse, that have other vendor's AV installed. ( I would list them. but i don't want to start a flame war )

I clean them, install ESET, and i never see them again.

I have been having repeat business for virus cleanups for years, this is the first year i am not seeing my regular viral customers returning which would normally happen on a bi-monthly basis haha.

I can't stress enough how real live scenarios of ESET vs the competition is so shocking its silly to think about.

I am guilty myself of purchasing from Newegg.com because i wanted to buy ESS for the $5.99, however i have also purchased EAV and ESS for the full price for my families computers and my laptops, office computers etc.

@ SweX and Arakasi

I agree that is why I renewed :D .

I did check the market, just as I do for all insurances, every year and I do take into account the price of the product as well as its quality. I do think every AV publisher is taking advantage of its customers. Invariably, new licences are cheaper than renewals from the publishers and that is just not justifiable.

I will only buy from proper sources, which rules out eBay. The best ESET UK could do would be to match the Amazon price, so I bought from Amazon. The price of a 3PC ESET AV licence had approximately doubled in the past year, which spurred me to check the market too.

Kaspersky sucks, both the software and the support. BitDefender managed to delete some small system folders. They might not have been needed (the PC booted and worked) but I did not take a chance and restored the backup.

I like the configurability of ESET. Kaspersky made a BIG mistake when they dumbed down their interface on the gounds that so few users used the advanced options and their misuse caused many probs for support.

You've got me for another year guys :lol: .

Toodle-pip from London, England.

DrT

Too late for the England team as usual :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: . Once again, we have to rely on the results of other games. When you are paid well over £100,000 a week, one tends to lose one's edge.

Edited by DrTeeth