Hello all techy experts!

I have a concern. After scanning my network I am getting the warning that Port 23 is open. I have checked my router (TPlink 2800) no ports have been forwarded. I am confuzzled!

Can anyone please advise?

open network services.png

tplink2.png

tplinkports.png

Have you installed any Ethernet base LANSocket devices? These plug into existing house electrical wiring and transmit network traffic through the wiring. Much to my dismay, I found the one's I have use TelNet to communicate with each other. And there really is nothing you can do about it.

As long as you don't reside in let's say an apartment building with shared electrical wiring, these devices using Telnet pose no risk.

Note: there are Wi-Fi versions of these LANSocket devices. These need to have their default password; usually "Admin", changed to something more secure. To do so, you will have to download the GUI software from the manufacturer to access any internal settings on these devices. Also since most of these device are made in China, assume the software is also.

Edited by itman

Many thanks itman for your reply.

I do indeed. I have a Netgear switch which has Ethernet devices connected to it. Perhaps this could be the cause. I will look into that and come back.

Never thought of it. Thank You.