TPM Error

Adrianc

Hi no matter how many times I try I get the following message:

An attempt was made to take ownership of the Trusted Platform Module, on workstation "FRANK-HP (98CD9D7B-33C4-11EB-8BFD-40EC99148ECA)", but the attempt failed and the following error was encountered: The TPM is not correctly configured, re-configuration is required. (0xC00B0044)

I restart and press F1  to accept as i would normally but get the error above and this in the details section:

The Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is unavailable, error 3

Yet it says available in the bios.

Has anyone got any ideas please.

• ESET Staff

Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. 

I suspect you are encountering a known issue with the latest version of Windows 10 2004 (OS build 19042).  You can check what Windows version you are running by typing 'winver' into the Run dialog. I have attached an example:

image_2020-12-01_142634.png

If your computer IS running Windows 10 2004 (OS build 19042), then please check to see if you are missing the UseNullDerivedOwnerAuth registry value found in:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TPM\WMI

If it is missing, then you can create it manually by opening an elevated command prompt and entering the following command:

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tpm\wmi -v UseNullDerivedOwnerAuth -t REG_DWORD -d 0x01 -f

After running this command, reboot your computer before trying FDE again. This should allow the TPM to be used for encryption. 

Let me know how you get on.

- JP