Eset blocking encrypted network traffic with a trusted certificate?

PuterCare

I noticed there are some resent threads but they seem to concern emails/web browsing and SSL so not sure if this is related. I had a call from a client who have EES managed by us via ESMC. They have a Word plugin that communicates with a remote server to activate itself, it has always worked fine with Eset but now there is an error "The secure connection to the activation servers failed due to a TLS or certificate error".

If I change the Word application filter action from "Auto" to "Ask" and open Word then I see the Eset message, if I click ignore then it will activate fine, if I click scan then it will block. I can set up an exception but I need to work out if the issue is Eset or the certificate as this plugin is used by a lot of their clients who I do not manage so I can't add exceptions for them.

The certificate is trusted and valid. Do you know which logs I need to inspect to get more info about what is causing this? The option for corrupt certificates is set to block but I don't know how to check for a corrupt certificate.

Thanks 

• ESET Moderators

Hello @PuterCare,

1. Prepare the Word plugin to a state before the activation

2. ESET's Advanced settings -> Tools -> Diagnostics -> Enable Protocol filtering advanced logging ; confirm by OK

3. Start the  Word plugin that communicates with a remote server to activate itself

4. Disable the logging from the step #2 

5. collect the logs by ESET Log Collector 

6. upload the logs to a safe location and send the download details to me and @TomasP to check.

OR

The dev team implemented multiple fixes to attempt to resolve the issues reported and built a new Internet protection module 1413 in case you would like to try how it behaves, sent a private message to me and @TomasPwith a reference to this topic and we will share it with you so you can check how it behaves.

Peter

14 minutes ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello @PuterCare,

1. Prepare the Word plugin to a state before the activation

2. ESET's Advanced settings -> Tools -> Diagnostics -> Enable Protocol filtering advanced logging ; confirm by OK

3. Start the  Word plugin that communicates with a remote server to activate itself

4. Disable the logging from the step #2 

5. collect the logs by ESET Log Collector 

6. upload the logs to a safe location and send the download details to me and @TomasP to check.

OR

The dev team implemented multiple fixes to attempt to resolve the issues reported and built a new Internet protection module 1413 in case you would like to try how it behaves, sent a private message to me and @TomasPwith a reference to this topic and we will share it with you so you can check how it behaves.

Peter

Thanks @Peter Randziak @TomasP, I have PM'd you the link to logs.