"Switch to a product with more features" after update to v.14.0.21.0

DerAdler
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi,
I just updated my Nod32 Antivirus to v.14.0.21.0 and after the reboot I noticed a notification mark (blue dot with a white i) on the Eset icon in the traybar, so I clicked it. In the home screen of Nod32 Antivirus there is a notification that says:

Switch to a product with more features

Your license allows you to install a product with more features. Don't miss the extended protection you've already paid for.

Restart the product to apply the product change (recommended)
Keep the current product and don't remind me again.

The odd part, tho, is that:

1) My license has been renewed a couple of few weeks ago, with no particular changes (I've only increased the devices number, not upgraded or changed the product licensed). So I'm wondering what that massage stands for...

2) Clicking on the "Installed product: ESET NOD32 Antivirus"  (on the bottom of the Home screen) in the "Change to a different product" window, under the description "Products that can be installed and activated with your current license", only ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Essential protection) is listed (and is already selected). Which confirms that my license doesn't allow me to switch to any other ESET product. So, again, I'm wondering what above...

Is that a bug?
If not, given that my license is only for Nod32 Antivirus, to which product is switching if "Restart the product" is clicked?

Thanks.

Edited by DerAdler

• DerAdler changed the title to "Switch to a product with more features" after update to v.14.0.21.0
  • Administrators
  • Solution

Since I was unable to find any license registered with your forum email address, please provide your public license ID so that I can check your license details. It sounds like the license is for ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security Premium that you are entitled to use and which provide better protection than ESET NOD32 Antivirus in terms of blocking network-based attacks.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:10 AM, Marcos said:

Since I was unable to find any license registered with your forum email address, please provide your public license ID so that I can check your license details. It sounds like the license is for ESET Internet Security or ESET Smart Security Premium that you are entitled to use and which provide better protection than ESET NOD32 Antivirus in terms of blocking network-based attacks.

I did some further investigation and I found out that our licence, originally for NOD32 Antivirus, has been recently "upgraded" to ESET Endpoint Protection Standard.

That's probably why is now notifying me that I can switch to an other product, given I'm still using NOD32 Antivirus on that client (well, actually on all clients).

Thank you anyway for your reply; I'll accept your answer as solution, so that this thread can be marked as closed.

Edited by DerAdler

• Administrators
5 hours ago, kmf said:

how does one revert from internet security to nod32?

I don't recommend downgrading from EIS or ESSP to ESET NOD32 Antivirus which won't protect you from brute-force RDP attacks, a common infection vector of ransomware.

Please provide:
1, More information about the RDP issue; Note that a permissive firewall rule must be created in order for connections from outside of the trusted zone to work.

2, More information about the issue with downgrade from EIS to EAV.

Please create a new topic for each where it could be discussed further.

Hello,

I came here for four reasons after receiving the "Change to a product with more features" popup.

1. To make sure it is a legit popup from my NOD32 ANTIVIRUS

2. To complain that it is a modal popup dialog, preventing me to see behind it while I figure out what is going on. Did it really have to be modal?

3. On that popup, there is a "Learn more about this message" link, which it turns out does not give more information about "Change to a product with more features"

4. The popup just asks "Do you want to change product?" Yes or No. It does not say what product I would be changing TO. No information on why I would want to change, or not to change.

I've been a very long time fan of ESET, the poor communication on this is very unlike you. What's up?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MikeSoulpatch said:

1. To make sure it is a legit popup from my NOD32 ANTIVIRUS

Yes, it's a legit pop-up. You have a multi-device license which entitles you to install ESET Internet Security. We strongly recommend changing the product to EIS since ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not protect you from network brute-force attacks and exploitation of unpatched vulnerabilities in network protocols.

There are various scenarios in which the user is notified about the option to upgrade to a product with more features if the license entitles the user to use it:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

2. To complain that it is a modal popup dialog, preventing me to see behind it while I figure out what is going on. Did it really have to be modal?

You can minimize gui by clicking the underscore icon:

image.png

3. On that popup, there is a "Learn more about this message" link, which it turns out does not give more information about "Change to a product with more features"

I've notified the documentation team to add this particular notification to the list in the help.

4. The popup just asks "Do you want to change product?" Yes or No. It does not say what product I would be changing TO. No information on why I would want to change, or not to change.

As you can see above, if you manually change the product you are offered a list of available products. The pop-up window that you are referring to is displayed to all users where applicable so it must be concise. However, I too agree it would be good to provide the user with an option to display more information about available products and will suggest to improve this in future versions.

Regarding #2, the popup that was displayed to me is the second one that you've posted in your reply

image.png.16dd87e14b2a189732194ae660bf8f89.png

Note that it does not have a minimize icon (underscore).

After I selected "Yes (recommended)", it just blindly installed some software, not giving me any idea of what it just installed. It did not "offered a list of available products."

• Administrators
1 minute ago, MikeSoulpatch said:

Note that it does not have a minimize icon (underscore).

It can be minimized by clicking this icon if gui is open:

image.png

The purpose of the notification messages is to appear in the foreground since they contain information that need user's attention. It's possible to move it on the screen in case it prevents you from reading help for instance.

1 minute ago, MikeSoulpatch said:

After I selected "Yes (recommended)", it just blindly installed some software, not giving me any idea of what it just installed. It did not "offered a list of available products."

Thanks for the heads-up. I have suggested to improve this in future versions.

And if the GUI is not open, it just blocks my view. I was in the middle of working and then it popped up. I did not open the NOD32 GUI.

Why not have the ability to minimize the popup, especially a modal dialog?

• 2 weeks later...

This just happened to me too. I was in the middle of a live presentation for an audience, had GoogleSheets open so I could read my notes, had Zoom open, and all of a sudden, I could not see any of it because of the ESET pop up offering me new products. Keep in mind I have a live audience and a paying customer waiting for me at that point. I repeatedly clicked "no" because it was the WORST timing possible, and got trapped in an endless loop of ESET screens. I kept clicking to try to get out of it and it went around & back to the same screens. My other presenter tried to cover for me for several minutes as I was working on this. This was a week ago. It is now a problem EVERY SINGLE time I open Zoom and turn on the camera, which is about 5-6 times a day.  I've tried going with the "better" upgraded services that I am apparently already paying for, but I cannot figure out how to activate them despite trying many times. My login & password don't seem to work, so that's not happening either. I've tried resetting my password and that didn't work either. I'm really, really unhappy with ESET products right now. This is absolutely a reason I might un-install ESET and choose a different security provider. Whether I do that or not depends on your reply and customer service. How can you help me solve my problem?

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Marte said:

This just happened to me too.

I'd like to emphasize that the issue discussed in this topic concerned mainly those who had a business license but installed a product for home users. Also it was not an intention to display the notification to business users and we fixed the issue by regenerating license files for affected users relatively quickly. Another thing I'd like to point out that ESET supports gamer mode (called presentation mode in business products) which, when activated, suppresses any messages and pauses tasks, such as on-demand scans or updates. By default it's activated automatically when an application running in full-screen mode is detected but you can activate it manually before a presentation too.

Please provide your public license ID and let us know what ESET product you have installed. If you have installed a product for home users, please provide reasons for not installing Endpoint instead.

Something very concerning to me about the "change to a product with more features" pop up is when I clicked no, it asked me if ESET was allowed to make changes to my computer. It did the same when I clicked on learn more of the link, which I exited out of via the x and was directed to the help page via firefox. This seems very suspicious to me and I would like to know why it asks to make changes no matter what choice I select?