What happens to the licenses of computers that were removed from the console without deactivating?

So, before finding "Delete not connecting computers" task, I have removed a bunch of computers from the SMC by just "Remove Device". This doesn't seem to update the license information so they seem to take up allocation rom the number of licenses. 

Does running the "Delete not connecting computers" task remove those computers too or am I doomed?

• ESET Staff
2 hours ago, ChuckM said:

We are currently in the process of having the EBA portal set up I believe but without that, is that not possible?

When devices are removed manually from console, there should be prompt to user asking whether licenses should be deactivated - could you verify you have not missed it?

The computers were removed using "3. Remove computer from database" option. There is no mention of licenses when you try to manually remove the computer.

• Administrators

If you want to stop managing a particular computer, the procedure consists of 3 steps. It's not just about removing the computer from database:

image.png

This is one of the screens I very much dislike in ESET. It is poorly worded and honestly, doesn't make sense.

Step #1 Why would ESET make this so difficult?
Step #2 This step removes the agent, but only if the agent doesn't have a password (see step #1). Why doesn't it just say "uninstall Agent" (because that is what it does) in plain language? Who wrote this?
Step #3 Remove Computer from database. Apparently putting a check mark also removes the license. But it doesn't say that is what it does. Who wrote this?
If you do can figure how to do the above steps with the poorly worded descriptions it would remove the ESET agent but still leave the ESET A/V package installed on the removed computer. I would think most people would want to remove both.

I would purpose a better way of removing a computer is to make two uninstall tasks that can be pushed to computers. One uninstall task for the agent and one uninstall task for the A/V package. The two different tasks allow you to use an uninstall password so you don't need to do step #1 above. Once you have the two tasks created, you run the uninstall ESET A/V task on the computer first. After that completes, you next run the uninstall ESET Agent task. Wait to see the computer no longer connects to the ESET server. Now you have completely removed ESET from the computer, not just the agent. Then you can remove the computer from the database using step #3 above.

I would also strongly recommend using the the EBA portal the tech recommended. Without that you are running blind on your license use count since that is where ESET counts your license usage and you can remove old computers there or make an automatic rule to remove ESET licenses from computers that haven't talked in XX days.

• ESET Staff
1 hour ago, GregA said:

Step #2 This step removes the agent, but only if the agent doesn't have a password (see step #1). Why doesn't it just say "uninstall Agent" (because that is what it does) in plain language? Who wrote this?

We will try to verify this, as de-enrollment should work even when AGENT is password protected.

1 hour ago, GregA said:

Step #3 Remove Computer from database. Apparently putting a check mark also removes the license. But it doesn't say that is what it does. Who wrote this?

Is there any specific detail missing? Checkbox comes with following tooltip:

image.png

which seems to describe the process -> when selected, ESMC will try to contact license servers directly and all "seats" reported by AGENT will be deactivated.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer I was looking for was to go to Tasks\Server Tasks\Delete Not Connecting Computers.

This allows me to remove and delicense the computers not connected for x amount of days.

Thanks