It is with regret and the (approval of the moderator) that I am leaving the nod 32 program..

wandering-off

I began the use of Nod32 when the program was 4 or so modules.  The company from my vantage point was small, in San Diego and the program was light and fast.  I have enjoyed my stay.  HOWEVER.  Lately it has interfered with several critical services in Windows 10, namely system restore and the number of intrusions on the internet have increased exponentially.  I am not even using the internet security.

I think that I have called San Diego, maybe 20 times over at least 12 years.  Its also been pleasant.  I spoke with the service manager and had his number.  I ran into difficulty and after feeling that the chat rep needs to learn how to read and after wasted time, I call the tech manager back.  I was met by an arrogance that was demeaning to me as a customer.  Hubris that I took to mean, like it or lump it.  Or how the hell did you get my number.  No we're a big company, started in Czechoslovakia.  (My Grand Mother was Czech, so no offense.)

I did not mention that the past three times trying to uninstall so I can use system restore, the darn thing wouldn't uninstall.  The tool used in safe mode created a dos display was keyboard incapable after the first "yes" key press.  Well, needless to say this was too much info to discuss on chat and the hell I'm going to pay 40 bucks for bungled code.  So tech support not being responsible for the developers and taking my "complaint" as feedback is like tech support taking a pass on its home customers.  Well, no thanks and thanks for 12 years of great programming.  But it seems that perhaps the small town charm has become big time Scr*w you.   I guess, a love once new, has grown old.
Paul

• Administrators

I have talked to colleagues from ESET LLC to gain insight into the issue. As I understood, the main problem was that you refused chat or support via a ticket which are the only ways how home users can contact support and it's a standard in the IT industry. If that wasn't the case, please correct me.

As to the technical issues you've pointed out:

1, Lately it has interfered with several critical services in Windows 10, namely system restore
Personally I haven't noticed issues like that reported from other users neither here in the forum nor in other channels from our partners and distributors. Please provide more details so that we can try to help you resolve the issue.

2, ... the number of intrusions on the internet have increased exponentially
Please elaborate more on this. It is not clear what you mean by intrusions and whether you think that ESET failed to protect you and why.

3, The tool used in safe mode created a dos display was keyboard incapable after the first "yes" key press. 
Actually this is the first time I hear about such issue. Users here in the forum and also the others have used the Uninstall tool without issues and it removed ESET alright. Again, further investigation would be needed to determine the root cause of the issue.

Win 10 is a "different animal." As far as system restore goes, the best and most effective was to do so is via the Win 10 recovery environment. This can be done directly from Win 10 itself or from Win 10 installation bootable media. I have never had an issue with Win 10 system restore when done this way. Also and most important, there is no way any existing installed software can interfere with the process.

As far as network intrusions go, blame the Win 10 firewall for that. One reason that Internet or Smart Security is repeatedly recommended in the forum.

I have to agree with you about Eset North America tech support. If your a paying customer, you should be able to speak with a tech support person period. Also. I beleive Eset N.A. is actually charging retail customers for malware removal assistance which is utterly ridiculous. On the other hand, I have heard of like shenanigans with other AV vendors. Maybe the industry doesn't realize that baloney like this makes free Windows Defender use all that more attractive.

• Administrators

The question is, does Microsoft provide a free phone support for home users? Or any other AV vendor? I assume the same holds true for free assistance with malware removal for trial users. I don't think that we would not help customers with a license to remove possible malware. Maybe not via phone but in a written form. Will check it with ESET LLC. Again, if other AV vendors do it differently, please let us know.

I think it unfair to blame Eset when you  are not using their communications systems correctly. Being a long standing user doesn’t give you more rights contacting support than a user the bought the software last week. All tech companies have ticketing systems for a reason and if you fail to use these correctly and don’t like the outcome that is not an issue for Eset. As for the technical issues you mentioned, this is clearly a lack of knowledge and understanding about the products you are using.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MrWrighty said:

As for the technical issues you mentioned, this is clearly a lack of knowledge and understanding about the products you are using.

It doesn't matter whether issues are actual or caused by a lack of knowledge. We help users in any case, it's just that the issue must be reported to customer care in a supported way, ie. via a chat in the US (supported only in some countries) or in a written form as a ticket by filling in the built-in or web form. Phone support is provided mainly for business customers only in most of countries.

As for user's issues, I would be glad to help but at this point we don't know any details yet.

I stand corrected about Eset N.A. charging for malware removal assistance.

Per the below screen shot, it only charges for non-Eset software related issues. There is a "gray line" here in that a number of Eset operational issues can be traced back to existing OS configuration issues or existing software conflicts. My statement about chat only support still stands. I personally hate chat only diagnostic sessions and overall have found them no substitute for a voice support session.

Eset_Support.thumb.png.a3fa1011bca0cb5b671422f6b54a3c07.png

• Most Valued Members

as pointed out by itman, paid support is for 3rd party AV customers, so i find it reasonable for the eset removal tool not to work.
i've never had any problem removing the eset products in safe mode with this tool. it was able to remove the entire program or if i used the control panel in normal windows mode, it could remove leftover files from the normal uninstallation.
the cmd tool works as expected.

as for the system restore, a few weeks back i started SR and upon completion it reported that it failed to restore a file.
upon further inspection, that file was one of the files that EIS downloads to update the virus signature database. despite that error message the system restore was indeed completed successfully and the AV was working fine.

(btw i lost the picture i kept with that error message and i didn't report it.)