Nod32 won't update.

Pentode

Time to say goodbye to Nod32. It won't let me update to the new version, when my license expires so will the payment, there are other Anti Viruses programmes that cater for Win 7 for another 2 years at least - so why can't Nod... are they pushing things they don't want us to know about?

Running Win 7 and Sp1 and still can't install, WHY isn't there clear EXACT instructions - I'm having a hard time in trying to install them so I have given up.

....and if MS thinks they'er pushing Win 10 on me THEY ARE TOTALLY WRONG.

Dave

• Administrators

Your license entitles you to download and update any supported version of the product that you purchased. If you are unable to install v13 on Windows 7, you will need to install missing Windows updates that add support for the cryptographic hash functions SHA-256.

Minimum requirements to run ESET on Windows 7 are: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with at least KB4474419 and KB4490628 Windows updates.

It is important to note that without receiving Windows updates that Microsoft stopped for Windows 7 some time ago the OS will become more and more vulnerable to threats as time goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, sorry for delay.

KB4474419 & KB4490628 will not install, I'm getting Update not applicable..... running Win 7 pro Sp1 2009, tried a couple of times, anyone have any pointers?

Dave

2 hours ago, Pentode said:

Hi again, sorry for delay.

KB4474419 & KB4490628 will not install, I'm getting Update not applicable..... running Win 7 pro Sp1 2009, tried a couple of times, anyone have any pointers?

Dave

Big long thread on the issue here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/kb4474419-will-not-install/658900bc-3103-4a0e-a9ed-08c5c2d31e76?page=1  . Appears related to a dual boot configuration.

Also check out this thread: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2200993-windows-update-kb4474419-failing-to-install-after-reboot . Might be related to available hard disk spaces issues. Also in this thread is a MS FixIt solution that worked for one poster.

As far as "Update not applicable." that one is a bit more involved: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/core-infrastructure-and-security/the-quot-this-update-is-not-applicable-to-this-computer-quot/ba-p/1057794 . Might be time to upgrade to Win 10.

Edited by itman

Thanks for getting back much appreciated. Sorry to say I've tried both links and their suggestion's and no joy. I do query though-:

The second link says open reg Edit (ran as admin.) went to Local machine code, selected file and loaded 'Hive', then go to system 32 config.... BUT it asked for no file, nor is there a component file in there?

Win 10, no thanks, since Eset served has me well so I won't give up without a fight.... but I ain't paying for somethings that don't work, when it runs out, it comes off sadly, I certainly be willing to try other things.

Dave

EDIT:

BTW, I don't dual boot and only have Win 7 pro AND I forgot to mention I did disable Nod32 before trying the above.

Edited by Pentode

Believe this might be the issue.

You have to download KB4490628 from Windows Update Catalog first and install it. Then reboot and install KB4474419.  KB4490628 is a servicing stack update that allows for:

You will get SHA-2 signed Windows Updates on your system.

https://windowsreport.com/kb4474419-kb4490628-kb4484071/

In other words, KB4490628 allows for future SHA-2 signed Win Updates to be installed.

Ref.: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490628/servicing-stack-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2

Edited by itman

Hi Marcos, Sorry I can't recall the exact wording, that was after I removed Nod32 as instructed, something like unable to install.

@ itman... sorry to say I've tried,  KB4490628, just had a nasty thought - I didn't reboot...! I'll leave it a short while now and then I'll try KB4490628 AND reboot.... then install the two others. Thanks, I'll get back here after.

I assume I just download, click n' run and reboot.

Dave

I assume you have previously downloaded both KB's? Note that I have issues with accessing Windows Update Catalog all day so far. -EDIT- Actually I can access the site. But when I try to search for anything, I get a web site error.

Edited by itman

The files I have, KB4490628, KB447441 and  KB4490628. I had no problems with downloading from MS catalogue earlier except on one occasion, I can't get any of them to install I get 'update not applicable' error. 

I just tried MS again and is down again as you say.

Dave

What I am starting to believe is you have already installed a Win 7 cumulative update that was issued subsequent to KB4490628 and KB44744. Remember that "cumulative" means the update includes all prior updates. If some of those were previously installed, the installer just ignores them. Hence the message "update not applicable' when you try to individually install KB4490628 and KB44744 since they internally have been previously installed.

When you uninstalled Eset, did you previously use it's stand-alone uninstaller: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool ? If not, thoroughly read the article on how to do so. A link is provided in the article to download the tool. Remember that the tool must be run in safe mode. Upon successful run completion of the tool, reboot. Then download and install the latest version of NOD32 here: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2885-download-and-install-eset-offline-or-install-older-versions-of-eset-products

Edited by itman

• Administrators

We've been taking about Windows updates adding SHA-2 code signing support, however, since we don't have install logs we cannot tell for sure if this is actually the root cause of the problem. Would it be possible to reproduce the problem with installing v13.2 and then provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector?

I did have a quick look for the update files, I've either not got them, been corrupted or missing.... or not looking in the right place.

I'll try Marcos suggestion of installing again, the last time all I got was unable to install because I needed the two files... I never thought of looking at log files, been at it all day here, I'll try again tomorrow.

Dave

1 hour ago, Pentode said:

I did have a quick look for the update files, I've either not got them, been corrupted or missing.... or not looking in the right place.

Again.

These Win 7 KB updates were issued in March, 2019. If you have Win 7 cumulative updates installed after this time frame, the SHA-2 KB updates noted would have been installed in one of those subsequent cumulative updates. As such, you will not see these SHA-2 KB updates listed separately via Control Panel -> Win Updates.

Edited by itman

Thank you all for the great patience.

Before I do a complete removal and re-install as Marcos suggested, could I question how you install the KB stand alone installers, do you click em' or place them on the C drive? I've been clicking them.

It looks as if I don't have the cumulative updates, is there a place I can get them?  I'm using a cloned drive, and to prove the update path is working I installed KB449915 (a .exe file) and it installed with ease and shows in the update list, so this proves update path is working.

Dave

11 hours ago, Pentode said:

could I question how you install the KB stand alone installers, do you click em' or place them on the C drive?

I just checked both at the Win Update Catalog web site. They are both installers. You download them to where ever. Then you double mouse click on the downloaded file and it should begin execution immediately.

11 hours ago, Pentode said:

It looks as if I don't have the cumulative updates, is there a place I can get them? 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4490628

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4474419

Make sure you download the Win 7 versions that corresponds to your OS type; X(86) - 32 bit or x(64) - 64 bit.

And again, install KB4490628 first. Then reboot and install KB4474419.

This also begs the question as to where you have been downloading these updates from previously? Downloading from any place other than the Win Update Catalog web site is asking for big problems; borked device, malware, etc..

Edited by itman

I'm stumped...! I was pretty sure it looked like a MS website, I did scan them before opening. It appears THEY COULD NEVER be from MS, I do have them here if you want to check them, these sited ought be removed.

As I can see it Win 7 is pretty much useless  without them or changing an AV that  'still' works.... wonder why Eset are still providing the links?

I've still not tried Marcos suggestion of removing it in safe mode yet, sure will try though.

At this point of time it's pretty pointless me renewing the license, as I see it there must be some update that's missing, should I sort it I'll get back, thanks to you and Marcos for trying.

Dave

'm stumped...! I was pretty sure it looked like a MS website, I did scan them before opening. It appears THEY COULD NEVER be from MS, I do have them here if you want to check them, these sited ought be removed.

Err ............... Did you download the updates from the Win Update Catalog web site links I posted previously? Did you try to install those?

Note: I updated the links to the HTTPS Win Update Catalog web site. Strange that the Microsoft articles where the links are posted redirect to the HTTP site.

Edited by itman

16 hours ago, itman said:

Err ............... Did you download the updates from the Win Update Catalog web site links I posted previously? Did you try to install those?

Note: I updated the links to the HTTPS Win Update Catalog web site. Strange that the Microsoft articles where the links are posted redirect to the HTTP site.

I'm pretty sure I did, I seem to think I went back to get the other file and it took three attempts as the site wouldn't open. Before even thinking of running ANY file I do right click them and let Nod32 do a scan first, they came up clean.

I doubled clicked them and also right clicked them and clicked 'Open with installer, I tried them starting with KB4490628 then KB4474419, just to be sure I reversed the order, in both cases I got update not applicable. 

I'm gonna try Marcos idea of un installing using Eset tool in safe mode and then updating to the new version.... somehow I can't see that working -  sorry to Marcos for the delay in trying this, just that I never mess with a working drive. My license expires 26/12 so I've got a little time to play.

Dave

I doubled clicked them and also right clicked them and clicked 'Open with installer, I tried them starting with KB4490628 then KB4474419, just to be sure I reversed the order, in both cases I got update not applicable. 

Windows Updates are numbered sequentially. Later updates have a higher value than earlier in time updates.

Again ....... check Win Update KB numbers via Control Panel -> Programs -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates. If KB numbers exist that are higher in value than KB4474419, then both SHA-2 applicable updates have been applied. This is why you are receiving "Not Applicable" when you try to install them; they are already installed. Again ....... they would have been installed as part of one of these subsequent Win 7 updates and will not show individually in Installed Updates section.

That's where I looked before  nothing - completely empty nor could I see them anywhere even with hidden files exposed....! There was some there the last time I looked I'm pretty sure, don't ask me which ones though, I've been snookered here.

Dave

Try this to determine KB's installed.

From a command prompt window, enter less the quote marks, "systeminfo > c:\updates.txt"

Then search in the file generated for the KBs.

I can't understand....! Nothing comes up, I ran CMD as Admin. and typed systeminfo > c:\updates.txt, sure did scan but produced no results, I tried again but I 'copied and paste' and got same result - scans but finds nothing reverting back to input command.

I KNOW there should be some in there, which ones I can't say, I doubled checked I'm running Win 7  pro Sp1 6.1 x64 bit and shows a valid installation.

Dave