Scan taking much longer than normal

joyrachsis6

Hi!

I just had a quick question...I've had Eset for a little over a year now, and normally my scans would take an hour or so, maybe a bit longer.  However, they've recently been taking about fifteen hours to finish (my most recent one started at 10:41pm last night and finished at 1:20pm today), and I don't know why.  Is there a way to not have the scan going for fifteen hours--to have it finish after an hour, like it used to?

Thanks!

Joy

• Administrators

Did you click "Scan your computer" in the gui or ran a custom scan and selected "Smart profile"? Could you try running both, one after the another? Have you recently copied big archives or disk images (iso,img,...) on the disk?

• 3 weeks later...

All I've done is click "scan your computer" and ran scans, as far as I know...I don't think I've done anything else.  I've been running scans basically every time I get on my computer, and they've all taken a very long time to run.  As far as I know I haven't done anything else...

• Administrators
3 hours ago, joyrachsis6 said:

All I've done is click "scan your computer" and ran scans, as far as I know...I don't think I've done anything else.  I've been running scans basically every time I get on my computer, and they've all taken a very long time to run.

Try running a custom scan using the Smart scan profile and compare the scan times.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, joyrachsis6 said:

That doesn't change anything--the scans still run for a super long time no matter if it's a regular scan or a custom scan.

Select Custom scan and exclude registry and WMI scanning.

• Most Valued Members

15 hours for a scan?!

that's unbelievable. i always select a full in-depth scan and it takes about 2 hours, no more than that. even on my old pc with a 600gb hdd full of files it took about 2-3 hours, never more than that and especially never 15!

have you accidentally changed any setting in the program?

after trying the above solutions, can you try to uninstall the program via safe mode and then install it again without changing any settings to see if the program settings were responsible?

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

while in safe mode, run the tool a couple times until it shows ''no supported/products found''

Edited by shocked

• Administrators

You can enable logging of all scanned files prior to running a scan. The scan log could be useful for subsequent analysis.

Also we would appreciate a video of how you ran the scan.