eset mail server question

Dear support!

We have on premise exchange 2013 running on Windows server 2016 standard and eset mail security version 7.0.10019.0. Today I logged in to the server, and the eset mail warned me about the Antivirus protection module, that something is not okay i dismissed the messeage. I checked the logs, and started Eset shell, used the get status command, to check the status of the modules, and all are enabled, getting the "maximum protection" messeage. To be sure, I turned off and on the module, everything looks fine. But, in the log files I still see warnings, look for the picture attached. Should i be worried, or this is safe to be ignored? 

This XmonCom: Error while communicating with ThreatSense kernel warn still present in the logs. It is started 2 says ago.

nod_mail_server_error.png

This is in production environment. If there is newer server OS released and something worng with the older one you can not always reinstall the newer OS, and hope for the error gone. 

But I do understand the newer version possibly comes with advantages, so I will try to update the product. Could you please link some article how to do it? I never done before. 

If I understand this article: https://support.eset.com/en/kb7010-upgrade-eset-mail-security-for-microsoft-exchange-server-from-4x-to-the-latest-version-7x  I have to do a reinstall.

edit: https://help.eset.com/emsl/7.0/en-US/installation_upgrade_era.html I will try upgrading via ESMC

Edited by petersonal

• Administrators

If you have v4, I'd recommend uninstalling it and rebooting the server prior to installing EMSX 7.2 V4 is a very old product and such old drivers with a new program installed could cause severe system problems.

no-no i have 7.0.10019.0. i just linked probably the wrong article, and also missunderstood the ESMC upgrade article. The only way to update the version is to reinstall the product. Am i correct?

Edited by petersonal

• Administrators

Correct.  You can install it on top to preserve current settings. We believe that manual or automatic product updates should be eventually possible as of ESMC 7.3 later this year. It will work the way that the program will download an update (e.g. you will manually check for a new program version), you select to install the update and the update will be installed after the next server reboot. Future versions should be able to install program updates instantly and without requiring a reboot even if drivers are updated.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

my theory for the initial issue is, that the server hasn't been rebooted for a longer period of time and I guess that a simple reboot would resolve it. So this might be a quick fix for others experiencing the same issue.

@petersonal can you confirm or deny?

Peter

It is true it has not been restarted for at least 3 or 4 months or even much more. After windows updates, and a restart, the mail security seems working fine, no error or warning entries in the logs. I will report back after a couple days.

Edited by petersonal