Notifies of optional windows updates as recommended

Hi,

Up-to-date ESET Internet security (13.2.15.0)

"Setup / Advenced setup / Microsoft Windows Update / Notify about Microsoft Windows system updates" is set to "Recommended udates". Yet, ESET keeps notifying me about KB4568831, a Cumulative Update Preview which appears under the "Optional updates" section of "Windows Update" in "Settings" of Windows 10.

Note also that preview updates are what their name suggests: not fully tested updates, not recommended to use by the general public.

Is this a bug in ESET or does Microsoft incorrectly classify this particular update in some meta-data used by ESET?

Should I file a bug report on ESET (somewhere)? (I am not sure if ESET has a (public) bug-tracking service.)

Is there a work-around for this?

Thanks a lot,

Peter

• Administrators

As far as I know, we receive information about available OS updates as well as the category of particular updates from the operating system itself. I'd recommend opening a ticket with your local support to troubleshoot the issue and to confirm that the root cause lies outside of ESET.

Also we kindly ask you to choose a more friendly display name and we'll change it for you. "n1ghtm4n4g3r" is difficult to remember, quote, etc. If there were more users with a similar display name, it would be impossible for everyone to attribute posts to particular users.

4 hours ago, n1ghtm4n4g3r said:

"Setup / Advenced setup / Microsoft Windows Update / Notify about Microsoft Windows system updates" is set to "Recommended udates". Yet, ESET keeps notifying me about KB4568831, a Cumulative Update Preview which appears under the "Optional updates" section of "Windows Update" in "Settings" of Windows 10.

I believe this is a Microsoft "techno-babble" issue.

These Win 10 non-security updates are classified in the Microsoft Update Catalog as Recommended updates versus Optional updates. However, Microsoft in its KB articles will note that they show under the Win 10 Update Settings section of Optional Updates.

A true Optional update is Silverlight, etc..

Edited by itman

On 8/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, Marcos said:

Also we kindly ask you to choose a more friendly display name and we'll change it for you. "n1ghtm4n4g3r" is difficult to remember, quote, etc. If there were more users with a similar display name, it would be impossible for everyone to attribute posts to particular users.

Display name is not editable in account settings. (At least, I cannot edit it.) E-mail is.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, n1ghtm4n4g3r said:

Display name is not editable in account settings. (At least, I cannot edit it.) E-mail is.

As I wrote, we'll change it for you. Just let me know your new display name.