I am running ESET Smart Security Premium.  Today I discovered that some unknown hacker has created an account for himself ("John") and is using my computer and programs, such as Turbo Tax, etc.

I first tried to restart that's when I learned that "someone else using this computer.."

I deleted his account and some Unix programs he had there. Then I shut down the computer. I'm sending this from my phone.

What should I do? I thought ESET would protect against this kind of hacking!!!

• Administrators

"John" is a typical name of the phantom account that is created after enabling Anti-Theft in EIS/ESSP. Are you positive you haven't recently enabled Anti-Theft? How did you find out that somebody else logged into that account and was using your computer? Are you the only person with physical access to the computer?

What Unix programs do you mean? On Windows Unix programs don't run.

When I woke up the computer from sleep the desktop was not mine! Just a few programs there Turbo Tax and some Unix programs, 3 or 4 varieties of Vim.

Then I restarted and got the message that someone else was using the computer and did I want to go ahead with restart, which I did. Then I found the John account and deleted it and all its programs.

What should I do next?

I am the only person with access to this computer. I do not think I enabled Any anti- theft programs, although I am still trying to delete all the Microsoft programs that came with this computer. Maybe I missed something???

Edited by Maireen

55 minutes ago, Marcos said:

On Windows Unix programs don't run.

True.

But Linux ones will run just fine. However, the "Window Subsystem for Linux" would need to be installed via Control Panel -> Turn Window features on or off. -EDIT- Can also be done from PowerShell:

Open PowerShell as Administrator and run:

PowerShell
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
Edited by itman

I ran ESET computer scan which found no detections. However, that is a long list in the report labeled "unable to open" -- things.like MS Windows Defender, Microsoft Edge, and many more.

Anything of concern there?

51 minutes ago, Maireen said:

Anything of concern there?

No.

Per the below screen shot, is Anti-Theft enabled? Also, I don't know how it could have been enabled without you knowing about it. It requires you to either sign-on with your existing my.eset.com account or create a new account.

Eset_Antitheft.png

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

No.

Per the below screen shot, is Anti-Theft enabled? Also, I don't know how it could have been enabled without you knowing about it. It requires you to either sign-on with your existing my.eset.com account or create a new account.

Eset_Antitheft.png

Thank you very much, Itman!!!

Anti-Theft was indeed enabled!!  Unwittingly I must have selected it when I was setting up this fairly new computer. I have unselected this option.  

Live and learn!!