VPN connection problem with Endpoint Antivirus

indrek

Hello,

We're using ESET Endpoint Antivirus version 7.2.2055.0 (older 7.x versions affected too) and have random problems while connecting to our corporate Watchguard VPN. If I delete ESET completely, VPN is working OK. I added two vpn exe modules to to "Protocol Filtering" - "Excluded applications". I added our VPN IP address to "Protocol Filtering" - "Excluded IP addresses". I added also vpn address to "allowed url list".
Nothing helps, what else can be done?

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling Network attack protection or protocol filtering make a difference? Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor and provide them with details about the issue. Also enclose logs collected with ESET Log Collector after:
- enabling advanced network protection logging under tools -> diagnostics
- reproducing the issue
- disabling logging.

28 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Does temporarily disabling Network attack protection or protocol filtering make a difference? Please open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor and provide them with details about the issue. Also enclose logs collected with ESET Log Collector after:
- enabling advanced network protection logging under tools -> diagnostics
- reproducing the issue
- disabling logging.

No, disabling network attack protection and protocol filtering does not help.
And, I see no "Diagnostic" under Tools. There are LogFiles, RunningProcesses, SecurityReport, WatchActivity but no Diagnostic.

Thanks, I got it. I sent a logs but they most probably will not reply until Monday. I checked logs in GUI and it seems nothing was blocked at network level. HIPS log contains several "blocking" messages about VPN modules, but when I disable HIPS, nothing changes.

I'm experiencing the same issue with ESET Endpoint 7.0.2091.0. Watchguard VPN works fine after uninstalling ESET. Tried excluding the program folder and exes within to no avail.

• Administrators

As I wrote, the issue is being investigated. It could be because the VPN software injects as a WFP filter to filter network communication like ESET does and they clash together. Currently we are waiting for a response from users who raised a support ticket.

8 hours ago, itman said:

Did you follow the procedure here: https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/en-US/Fireware/services/tdr/tdr_exclusions_c.html?Highlight=exclusions to configure exclusion for Eset in TDR and in Eset to exclude WatchGuard directories?

We have no TDR, seems like it is some additional service. How to exclude WatchGuard directories in ESET  ?

Actually, WatchGuard has a separate help article dedicated to configuring TDR when Eset Endpoint is installed: https://www.watchguard.com/help/docs/help-center/en-US/Content/Integration-Guides/TDR/eset_tdr.html . But as you posted, you don't have TDR installed.

Have you contacted WatchGuard about your issues with Eset Endpoint installed w/o TDR use? They already may have a solution.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Allegedly Watchguard has released a new version of the VPN client that addresses the issue. Please check and confirm.

There hasn't been any sort of update for the client of my model XTM33. 

And we don't have TDR, BTW.

Edited by denzilla

On 3/19/2020 at 1:19 PM, Marcos said:

Allegedly Watchguard has released a new version of the VPN client that addresses the issue. Please check and confirm.

Thank you for providing the link. Its working now.

hxxp://cdn.watchguard.com/SoftwareCenter/Files/MUVPN_SSL/12_5_3/WG-MVPN-SSL_12_5_3.exe

https://support.eset.com/en/kb7470-watchguard-mobile-vpn-connection-issue-with-eset-endpoint-antivirus-eset-endpoint-security

I do have concerns though that ESET Endpoint appears to be ignoring the exclusions and toggles of certain functions. If I disable a feature, it should be actually disabled.

Edited by denzilla

• Administrators

What exclusions do you mean? Please provide at least a screen shot of your exclusions. Please keep in mind that using exclusions is not recommended and should be basically used only as a last resort if a particular issue cannot be resolved by any means. Also tell us why you think that the exclusions are not applied.

On 3/24/2020 at 10:21 AM, Marcos said:

What exclusions do you mean? Please provide at least a screen shot of your exclusions. Please keep in mind that using exclusions is not recommended and should be basically used only as a last resort if a particular issue cannot be resolved by any means. Also tell us why you think that the exclusions are not applied.

Reading the previous responses in this thread tells you all you need to know. Endpoint seems to be still interfering with things even when users are adding exclusions and disabling functions. Adds additional headache when troubleshooting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally this is fixed....i raised this issue back in November when I first put my Watchguard in place, but ESET couldn't figure the issue out.  No matter what we turned off it would still seem to "block" the connection.  Uninstall ESET and it worked right away every time. 

I eventually just gave up and dealt with it.  The OpenVPN client worked fine so we used that in place of the Watchguard VPN, but if this really fixes the issue, I can get users to use the one designed for the firewall which lets me enforce the policies better.

• 2 weeks later...

A simple thing you can do, just disable antivirus. And then contact with support team, they will assist you with better solution. After put your all effort, and you still have same issue then you may go with other vpn like PureVPN or ExpressVPN

ESET is a very strong security software, in fact one of the best for Windows 10, what with its comprehensive protection for your everyday home or business online activities.

Among its advantages and benefits include a multi-layered security against any online or offline threats, privacy protection, safer connection and browsing, password management, data and folder encryption, all backed by three decades of innovation built and run by security enthusiasts.

With such strong security, you can imagine what would happen when you try using your VPN with ESET and it gets blocked.

• 2 weeks later...