Not sending or receiving email?

I paid $99. two weeks ago to "fix ESET Cyber Security Pro" and when they were working on my computer I was unable to send or receive emails. They fixed the problem- I believe it was caused by ESET- now it has happened again! How do I fix please !!

• Administrators

What protocol do you use to receive email? On Mac we do not intercept SSL so only POP3, IMAP and HTTP is scanned which is nowadays rarely used due to security reasons.

12 hours ago, NancyRossi said:

I paid $99. two weeks ago to "fix ESET Cyber Security Pro" and when they were working on my computer I was unable to send or receive emails.

Just curious, who are "they"? Were "they" from a pop up on your PC, was it a scam caller who said they were monitoring your PC/MAC and saw that you're were having issues or did you call someone you trust?

Unless you have a special arrangement with ESET for expedited support, regular ESET Support for home users is free.

Depending on who "they" are, if you gave an unknown 3rd party remote access to your PC/MAC, you very well may have a BIGGER problem than just mail as your personal data MAY have been compromised:blink:.

That's in addition to being out $99. :wacko:

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
18 hours ago, TomFace said:

Just curious, who are "they"? Were "they" from a pop up on your PC, was it a scam caller who said they were monitoring your PC/MAC and saw that you're were having issues or did you call someone you trust?

Unless you have a special arrangement with ESET for expedited support, regular ESET Support for home users is free.

Depending on who "they" are, if you gave an unknown 3rd party remote access to your PC/MAC, you very well may have a BIGGER problem than just mail as your personal data MAY have been compromised:blink:.

That's in addition to being out $99. :wacko:

Yeah when I saw the post alarm bells started ringing

15 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears Eset - U.S. is charging $99.99 for malware removal: https://www.eset.com/us/home/virus-removal/

I guess I learned my one new thing for the day (and it's not even 11AM EDT!):P (assuming it was ESET she dealt with...as there is a plethora of skullduggery out there).

Scammers usually charge a few hundred dollars...and then promptly empty the rest of your bank account.

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears Eset - U.S. is charging $99.99 for malware removal: https://www.eset.com/us/home/virus-removal/

This service is provided for non-ESET users to my best knowledge. ESET's users should have it included in the price of the product.

41 minutes ago, Marcos said:

This service is provided for non-ESET users to my best knowledge. ESET's users should have it included in the price of the product.

Makes perfect sense to me. If you're not a current customer, but want our help, there is a cost to pay.

Giving away your services for free to everyone will not keep you in business for very long.

I don't think we have the complete story from the OP (and possibly never will as things just don't add up).:huh:

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, TomFace said:

Makes perfect sense to me. If you're not a current customer, but want our help, there is a cost to pay.

Giving away your services for free to everyone will not keep you in business for very long.

I don't think we have the complete story from the OP (and possibly never will as things just don't add up).:huh:

Yeah the weird thing is he says to fix eset not his computer. I can't imagine if eset wasn't working right eset charging to fix it as this would be bad for customer service. I could be wrong but it sounds fishy

What is possible and likely is the OP couldn't install Cyber Security Pro due to existing malware. He was charged for removal of that malware.

Once Cyber Security Pro was installed, his e-mail got hosed; probable network connection related, and Eset fixed that w/o additional charge. Now his e-mail is again hosed again.

6 hours ago, peteyt said:

Yeah the weird thing is he says to fix eset not his computer. I can't imagine if eset wasn't working right eset charging to fix it as this would be bad for customer service. I could be wrong but it sounds fishy

No peteyt, I don't think you're incorrect ... we just do not know the whole story... maybe we know only 30-50% ... of one side of it.

Unlike itman, I don't assume anything anymore. We all (or at least should) know what usually happens when you ass-u-me.

Nor do I know everything, but I do have common sense.

But if something doesn't seem/feel right to me, usually it isn't right.

Some things just do not add up here (for me).

We all want to help folks on the Forum, but you/we need to know what's actually going on to do so.

The OP (NancyRossi) did say " I paid $99. two weeks ago to "fix ESET Cyber Security Pro" ".

But ESET standard software support is free for ESET customers.:unsure:

I do not think, if she indeed is/was a paying customer/subscriber of ESET, that ESET would charge her (granted errors do happen).

Regards,

Tom

P. S. ... itman & peteyt ... unless things have changed in the past few days, last I heard, Nancy is still a female name which means he is a she and not a he ... just thought I'd share.^_^

Edited by TomFace

• Administrators

Yeah the weird thing is he says to fix eset not his computer. I can't imagine if eset wasn't working right eset charging to fix it as this would be bad for customer service.

The price for the service also includes an ESET license in case the user would like to use it. That said, it cannot be intended for those who have purchased a license but are having an issue installing ESET, e.g. due to malware being active on their computer.