the following event occurred: Server not found

pps

Hello,

I get this error from all the laptops when are outside of my company:

6/25/2019 17:33:35 – During execution of %SCANNER% – Module concerned Update on the computer XXXXX, from User: (NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM) the following event occurred: Server not found. – Description of a non virus event

What can I do to eliminate this error?

Thanks,

Peter

• ESET Staff

How are your updates configured? Theoretically this happens in case, when the Endpoint client is unable to communicate with the update server (it´s set to update from Mirror, or it is trying to communicate via proxy, with "fallback" disabled).

This error will be written to log, if you want to suppress the interactive notification (valid for V7): 

module update error.png

Edited by MichalJ

• Administrators

Does Endpoint on the machine update from ESET's update servers through http proxy in the internal network? If so, please make sure that the following setting is enabled in the Proxy server setup (advanced setup -> Tools -> Proxy server).

We can check your configuration if you collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide us with the generated archive. I'd suggest:
- enabling advanced network protection logging and advanced update engine logging in the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics
- reproducing the error
- disabling logging
- collecting logs with ESET Log Collector.

Hello,

@MichalJ

Era is version 6 so I can't use applications notifications.

@Marcos @MichalJ

First update profile is with proxy and the second is without.

I have set up a dual update profile following the instructions:

https://support.eset.com/kb3621/?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

@Marcos

I will try to run the log collector and send you the results.

Thanks.

Edited by pps
edit

• ESET Staff

@pps that is not a correct statement. regardless what is the ERA version, if your configuration module update is updated, you can connect and manage also Endpoints v 7.1. There is forward compatibility. 

Your setup might result in those errors. As the logic is, that the first profile tries, then fails (triggers message) and then uses the second profile. 

@michalJ

I meant that my endpoints are 6.6.20.89.2 so I can't use applications notifications on this endpoints. 

• Administrators
Just now, pps said:

I meant that my endpoints are 6.6.20.89.2 so I can't use applications notifications on this endpoints.

Is there any reason why you haven't upgraded Endpoint to the latest version 7.1?

@Marcos

Our ERA DB is located on another SQL server and our tomcat is x64 (not the same that came up with the installation).

Is not a default installation to begin with but we are planning to do the upgrade (or setup a new one) soon after the summer vacations.

Thanks,

Peter

• Administrators

One thing is upgrade of ERA to ESMC and upgrading Endpoint 6.6 to v7.1 is another thing. You can install Endpoint 7.1 even without upgrading to ESCM for now by sending a software install task with Endpoint 7.1 installer to clients. I'd suggest upgrading in batches, ie. sending the task only to a few clients and verifying that everything works alright, then upgrade another group of machines and finally the rest.

Of course, in order to take advantage of all features and to be able to use other new products that we have recently introduced, such as ESET Dynamic Threat Defense for instant analysis of suspicious files in cloud and ESET Enterprise Inspector (an EDR solution) for monitoring your network for suspicious activities and responding to them, upgrade to ESMC is inevitable.