Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000002ebecbd
Faulting process id: 0x13c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf34a859a992b5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 9badfb32-a128-11e3-9607-902b34ddceaf

Anyone else has the entire GUI crash on him? It has happened several times over the past 3 days, and along with the other problems I am starting to get the impression the whole program is still not quite yet out of beta.

Also, I can only guess the protection was not running properly (or at all) during this time. The ekrn.exe process was still active, but I have no idea how it works internally, so I am pretty worried.

Also, I am really in doubt whether to buy product which is in such state.

• Administrators

If you look at other posts in our forum, you'll hardly find any complaints about the stability of version 7 so likening it to a beta just before it crashes under specific circumstances on your computer doesn't seem to be exaggerated.

Please provide more information about the circumstances leading to the crash. Is egui crashing all the time, randomly or when performing a specific operation? (viewing logs, running a scan, etc.)

Well, my father in law has version 6 installed on his laptop and it's working perfectly fine. No interface bugs, no crashes, no windows automatically shrinking, nothing.

I might be exaggerating, but when I install something and it starts to bug out on me right away, I am not sure what to think.

It's seemingly random, I can't find any pattern to it. It's definitely not all the time at all - it happened 3 times so far, but that's roughly 3 times more than I'd expect. I don't even think I was doing anything.

Well, my father in law has version 6 installed on his laptop and it's working perfectly fine. No interface bugs, no crashes, no windows automatically shrinking, nothing.

That's how V7 works for me. ;)  I beta tested V7 (very stable BETA) and reported some issues to ESET that were solved. So there's no reason why you shouldn't do the same even if you're using a non beta version, software doesn't work the same on all computers and Win OS's . As well as different hardware and different softwares installed. So there's more than one thing that can play a role in a crash.

IMO, as long as the user is willing to work together with ESET there's no reason why it shouldn't get fixed.

I say this because we have had users report a problem but they haven't been that happy in supplying logs and whatelse to ESET, i.e their "problem" was not solved. 

It also could be a bad install.
Remove it through safemode and try again. (Use ESET Uninstaller)
Have you been able to run a full scan with latest def?

Your windows file system could be causing this too if there are issues floating around.
Try running a chkdsk then a system file checker (sfc /scannow) with cmd opened as admin.
Run a reg scan with ccleaner too.

Hope this helps

Edited by Arakasi

I don't mind reporting problems (even though I haven't seen any such section in the forum), but I think I wouldn't be able to supply any useful information except for "omg it's broken!!", because

There's nothing wrong with my system or disks. It's definitely not a bad install, because I can't imagine how I could possibly install the program wrong. Download, click about five times, and it's there. Removing in safe mode? Really? Maybe you should stop talking about something you have no idea about. If you are a Linux user I can imagine how you don't know how Windows work, though.

I am not a linux user.

I am a 20 year Windows veteran.

No other user is reporting what you are experiencing out of about 5 million people using this software.

So calm down.

If you choose not to take our suggestions, that is your decision.

How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET product?

To teach you a little something about windows and safe mode.

Safe mode will ensure that no drivers are being used, and no services are running, that could cause issues with uninstalling while they are in use.

That is why i recommended uninstalling from safemode.

ESET has an executable that removes the software in a manual way, specifically and recommended usage is from Safemode.

I still suggest running SFC from the command prompt and let us know your findings.

System File Checker

Checkdisk

Edited by Arakasi

Let ME teach you something about safe mode: Windows installler service is not running in that mode, so I really have no idea what are you talking about. I hope not manually deleting files in order to achieve "uninstallation". You cannot be serious with that. But please feel free not to reply any further in this thread.

Anyway, I have another problem. Apparently not everything that is blocked is showing in the log. I have one program that simply downloads one file from one specific address, but it simply won't work in interactive mode. It does in automatic, presumably because all outgoing connections are allowed by default then. When I switch to interactive mode and run it, I don't even get a prompt to either allow or block a connection, and the program itself says there is no internet connection. I can't figure out what might be the cause. If anyone has any idea, I'd like to hear it.

Good luck mr stubborn.
What i said has 0 to do with windows installer. You run an executable that removes files, drivers, registry entries & services without the installer service.

Edited by Arakasi

Since you won't read the links, ill post them here as a picture.

I hope not manually deleting files in order to achieve "uninstallation". You cannot be serious with that.

Yes i am, and so is the company that made the software. Look at the page you refused to go to.

The point here is your gui is freezing up, and no one else experiences this problem with a healthy machine & with no conflicting software.

Which is what lead to the install may have not completed successfully, your clicking 5 times is not the way it installs, files are placed accordingly, drivers are added and services corresponding, as well as registry entries to let the services know how to run etc. It has nothing to do with you, and no one is accusing you of installing it incorrectly. It could have been a software flaw, or since you know so much about windows installer..... a problem during installation by the service, etc.

And this is just the tip of the ice-burg of what may be causing your issues, it may not even be the installation, it may be conflicting software or like i stated before, windows corruption or file system issues, or any other number of variables that may be causing your gui freezing.

And, yes this is my last post in this thread.

Good luck to you sir.

post-1101-0-64503900-1393707008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

Should the crash occur again, create a dump of egui.exe (e.g. via the Task manager on Windows 7/8). When done, pm me for further instructions.