NOD causing system to freeze after login

Shortly after booting up and after the desktop appears my PC occasionaly freezes along with the timer icon. I have to force restart a couple of times before the pc becomes usable.

Also had this listed in Event Viewer:

The ESET Service service hung on starting
  • I've ran chkdsk along with other 3rd party HD drive checks
  • Tried system restore
  • Run virus/malware scans - nothing
  • SFC /Scannow
  • Can't see any exclamations in device manager
  • The computer will always boot up in safe mode with no trouble at all

I have uninstalled & reinstalled NOD with a thorough clean of its components in between.

• In safe mode: disabled the Eset service in Windows' service manager
  • Uninstalled Nod using the Nods uninstaller
  • Tried to find and delete Nod's ehdrv driver using device manager - it wasn’t there

Uninstalled the pc worked fine, reinstalled again and the problem returns.

I hope someone can help me with resolving this issue

Windows 7 OS sp1

ESS7 ver. 7.0.302.26

Hi Marcos,

I will try this now & report back in a couple of days to see if it has remedied the problem. Surely ESET should be putting out updates/patches that don't require this sort of action by the end user especially when it's a paid for poduct.

• Administrators

Hi Marcos,

I will try this now & report back in a couple of days to see if it has remedied the problem. Surely ESET should be putting out updates/patches that don't require this sort of action by the end user especially when it's a paid for poduct.

It is not clear yet what causes the issue so it's too soon to blame ESET for it. First of all, we need to narrow it down to a particular module involved which is why I asked to rename the above mentioned drivers, one at a time.

Ok, fair enough. I've just renamed both of them; I need to rename them one at a time? Disabling both of them causes the issue pictured.

post-3103-0-63933800-1393627394_thumb.png

EDIT: I renamed 'ehdrv.sys' only which caused my system to lock up more i.e. less items displayed on the desktop.

Edited by Portmanteau

• Administrators

Renaming ESET's drivers may cause errors and render protection status red. Just ignore that while troubleshooting the issue as renaming drivers was not offered as a definitive solution or workaround to the issue.

Thanks for replys.

I havent fully tested renaming both of the drivers as yet but I will report back as soon as I do. I read another thread on precisly this problem and user concerned mentioned that they had MBAM installed on their computer - could this be causing conflicts?

Thanks again

• Administrators

Thanks for replys.

I havent fully tested renaming both of the drivers as yet but I will report back as soon as I do. I read another thread on precisly this problem and user concerned mentioned that they had MBAM installed on their computer - could this be causing conflicts?

Thanks again

I assume there should be no clash with the free version of MBAM which doesn't use a real-time protection driver. If you use the full version, try renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys in safe mode and see if it resolves the problem.

NO need to reinstall MBAM, that will not resolve your issue.

You need to do 1 of two things.

1. Disable real-time protection with MBAM. " You dont need it using ESET "

2. Have ESET exclude the mbam executables and drivers, and have MBAM exclude EKRN.exe and EGUIl.exe and ESET's drivers.

Excluding each other will cause both to ignore the actions of the other, and diffuse this lock up issue.

Good luck.

• Administrators

2. Have ESET exclude the mbam executables and drivers, and have MBAM exclude EKRN.exe and EGUIl.exe and ESET's drivers.

This won't help if the clash is between the two drivers.

I believe you, however, what could be the explanation of his crashes when i use MBAM and ESET real-time protection together without conflict.

I use #2 myself, so if it is useless, i will try taking them out of the exclusion lists tonight.

Thanks Marcos :)