Windows Backup

Oh the humanity!

Windows 7 Backup can't complete backups anymore because ESET finds threats in the shadow copies and I can't delete them. Backup will be doing its thing and I'll get a popup from ESET saying I've got a threat in

\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy

and so on. But everyone knows that's not a real file path, so there's nothing it can do. Then Windows tells me backup failed, presumably because ESET gave it a hard time.

Are these files ESET finds a threat? do they exist? can I delete them?

Actually that path is legitimate when not referencing drive letters.

Have you tried uninstalling or disabling ESET protection to complete the deletion of the backups ?

Then start new backups going after ?

Deleting backups? That isn't what I'm trying to do, I just wanted to let my backups run on schedule and get rid of any threats. I'm okay with deleting backups or disabling ESET, temporarily, but would that make my backups complete without the error?

Most backup setups will overwrite the last or oldest backup being used as to refrain from using up all your disk space. My recomendation is to delete the backups containing the threats to get ESET out of the picture and then try to restart your scheduled backups.

I deleted all the previous backups, and during the initial backup I still got a pop up saying there is a threat at

\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy18\Users\Russell\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C65XJZWE\BiTool[1].dll
Win32/Somoto.C potentially unwanted application
Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

If I hit clean, ESET can't do it and the backup fails; and if I hit ignore the backup still fails.

You need to clean your Internet Explorer Temporary files and cache. That is where the threat is located.

Use Internet Properties in Control Panel, or use CCleaner on IE.

" ... Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\C65XJZWE\BiTool[1].dll"

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this is the same problem I am having.  I am getting the error message:

Windows Backup Failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition...

I know that it is eset firewall, because when I turn it off, the backup completes without error.  I have tried learning mode and Interactive mode, but neither mode has made a difference.  In interactive mode, I do not get a notice that it needed any permissions.

Any help would be appreciated.