License renewed, clients failing to activate

davey

Hi all, i renewed my license about a week ago and all is good in on the remote administrator specifying the next expiration date.

However, I was expecting my clients to catch up,  althoug, now i have all my users worrying their AV is going to expire, when in fact it wont, or will it since the client thinks it will and stop updating?

Anyway I have tested applying an activation task from the remote administrator which then fails on the client with 'Activation was not successful, . Could not reach activation server' I have applied the same license on the product activation task ( the only one ) that's valid and in date on the server.

I have also checked the client can reach https://edf.eset.com/edf

I expect, yes i could apply a policy so clients hides the license information, however i think that is defeating the point

Anything I am missing here? anyone come across this or is something going on at eset's end?

ESET Remote Administrator (Server), Version 6.5 (6.5.522.0)

current client I am testing product activations on 7.0.2073.1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, shelby said:

My product has been renewed and cannot activate!  Just says "verifying license key" and does nothing!?!?

What ESET product / version do you have installed?

MichalJ

Unfortunately, this issue is still present for my clients:

- Actual client will display a license expiring message

- Remote administrator displays an alert for the client showing 'license expires' 

I am running this from a product activation task in Remote administrator, selecting my current valid license which I can confirm is a year ahead and specifies the correct date next year, however running this on clients fails, no details, just 'Task failed' on RA and on the client log file specifies 'Activation was not successful: Could not reach the activation server'

If i manually attempt to enter the license key ( has remained the same on renewal ), i select Activate product on the protection status warning page, select 'enter a license key', I also receive an Activation failed message as per screen shot, this however has an additional error code ECP.20009

Regards

eset activation error.PNG

Edited by davey
wording

Has anyone Gone past the renewal date reported by the client? does the client still communicate with the server in the same fashion ( updates / signatures etc ) or does the client halt all updates because of its false belief its not licensed?

• Administrators

Endpoint communicates with activation servers even if no or expired license is installed.

Please provide a Wireshark pcap log from an activation attempt. Alternatively you can enable advanced network protection logging in the advanced Endpoint setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics, try to activate the product, then disable logging and gather logs with ESET Log Collector. When done, upload the log(s) here.

OK Client -> Setup -> Advanced Setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics -> Enable Network Protection Advanced Logging = Yes/NO

I have processed a local client activation attempt and a remote administrator one, which can both be seen in the logs ( which i have sent directly to you outside of this public post) at 12:45 +

Cheers

• Administrators

It's weird but there was no communication with ESET's activation servers nor the appropriate DNS request logged.

Please generate fresh logs, now also with "advanced licensing logging" selected. Also temporarily change logging verbosity to Diagnostic.

image.png

image.png

Before activation, please close any network-aware application (browsers, email client, etc.) so that the log contains only related network communication.
After enabling advanced logging, click Help and support -> Change license -> Enter a license key. If activation fails with an error, disable logging, change the logging verbosity back to Informative and gather fresh logs with ELC.

• Administrators

I've noticed that the driver C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys is loaded. Try uninstalling MBAM for a while and see if it makes a difference.

Marcos

Thanks, I have sent you three files:

- eea_logs 1433 Full Diagnostic Activation fail.zip = All options as described and logs taken after an activation fail

- eea_logs 1442 Diagnostic Informative fail.zip = Reversed with informative logging

- eea_logs 1458 = Logs after MBAM uninstalled ( MBAM will only be indicitive to myself and will not be on all other clients that fail )

To reiterate, this error message only occurred once my license was renewed. License was successfully renewed and I did not have to apply anything in the Remote administrator, once the updated date was reflected in the remote administrator, the clients then gave the license expiry message.

Regards

Edited by davey

OK, after Marcos checked the logs, looks like this was failing due to being denied pass through from a proxy server.

Funny thing is, i don't pass these through a proxy server and trying to pass traffic through a printer for some amazing reason was not reaching eset :)

I am not sure yet how policies pushed from the RA applying to clients were set in the first place, however moral of this story............check for proxy

• 3 weeks later...

Marcos

FYI - After re applying all my policies to how i want them ( without ANY proxies ) previously as per above, I notice that when i went to create an Agent installer, the code of that Agent installer configuations is set to RE APPLY a proxy and a specific IP address.

Are proxies configured elsewhere in RA? am i Doomed to foreever re configure any new clients i now create from from the RA installers because it has the proxy configuration i dont want, that after each new installtion i have to re apply another policy to undo the config applied by the installer? Think there may be a bug here?

I am obvioulsy aware of it now but is this similiar structure affecting thousands of other eset admins,  and of course the re occuring support?

Agent installer was ERAAgentInstaller.bat = line of code was 'set http_proxy_hostname=***.**.**.***'

(All Policies I have switch OFF proxy, I have modified the batch file myself to how i want it but this installer config is not being pulled from current live policies )

Let me know if you need further data.

Regards

Edited by davey

• ESET Staff
6 hours ago, davey said:

FYI - After re applying all my policies to how i want them ( without ANY proxies ) previously as per above, I notice that when i went to create an Agent installer, the code of that Agent installer configuations is set to RE APPLY a proxy and a specific IP address.

Configuration of HTTP proxy in live installers is loaded from ESMC/ERA Server's configuration, not policies, so it seems that your ESMC/ERA Server is configured to use it.

This proxy in installers is used just as alternative to download installation packages during installation, and in case it does not work, direct connection is ised. Configuration of this HTTP proxy is not propagated into installed AGENT, so it should not affect it's behavior.