Hey all,

I've been having an issue ever since installing Windows 8.1 Pro that I never had happen when using Windows 7. I have Smart Security 7 installed and configured to use Interactive mode. I have a Freenas machine set up with hundreds of movies which I view using XBMC. All works fine when viewing and playing the media normally, however when I scan the drives for new media, the connection to the machine is completely lost (mere seconds into the scan), and only comes back upon disabling the firewall. I also use a media manager to automatically download artwork for my movies before hand, and the same thing happens whenever I begin scanning the drives for new media.

I'm at a loss as to what can rectify the problem and would appreciate any and all assistance given. Thanks.

Edited by Shinu

• Administrators

Please check if the Freenas' IP address is in the Trusted zone. If it is and the issue occurs though, carry on as follows:

- navigate to Setup -> Network and make sure the IP address is not listed in the temporary IP address blacklist

- clear the firewall log

- enable logging of blocked communications in the IDS setup

- reproduce the problem 

- post the firewall log records here. Just in case, also include explanation which IP address belongs to which device.

Wow, thanks for the extremely fast respnse!

I wasn't too sure how to verify if Freenas was part of the Trusted zone, so I went ahead with the other steps. After scanning again I noticed that the Nas' IP was indeed being added to the temporary IP blacklist. I added an exception to the address and I didn't get disconnected. Should this be enough to rectify the issue or is it just a temporary fix?

• Administrators

It would be interesting to see your firewall log records with information what kind of attack was detected that made the IP address get into the blacklist.

No prob. This is what I got from the log file...

1/3/2014 1:29:24 PM    Detected attack against security hole    192.168.1.250:445    192.168.1.137:64659    TCP    Win32/Exploit.SMB.CVE-2012-4774    System  

1/3/2014 1:29:24 PM    Address temporarily blocked by active defense (IDS)    192.168.1.137    192.168.1.250    TCP