Nod32 seems to nod off

steveshank

I have nod32 running on over 100 machines and this is the only one giving me trouble. It is a 1 year old Windows 10 machine with dual SSDs mirrored.

The machine runs continuously. It does not sleep, hibernate etc. I check in remotely and it always responds. Backup programs on schedules work. It does nightly backups both online and local and monthly images. All of those work using 3 different programs. I setup a weekly deep scan like I do on all the computers but it never runs.

When I check the event logs, the nod32 seems to go for over a week with no activity at all, while on other computers it seems to check for updates etc.

When I login remotely and check it, nod32 responds normally with no indication of any problems.

Not sure how to even problem solve this issue.

5 hours ago, steveshank said:

When I check the event logs, the nod32 seems to go for over a week with no activity at all, while on other computers it seems to check for updates etc.

To begin with, I would check the dates associated with the sig. definition updates. It could be just an Eset event logging issue.

It is hard to figure out.

When I checked the update, it had recently updated. When I looked at the log, it showed the update made 1 minute ago. In other words, when I remote into the system and login (Teamviewer logs me out to the login screen when I exit teamviewer), Nod32 does an update. So, whenever I check, nod32's signatures are always up to date. However, where most of my installations log a signature update every few hours, this one only logs one when I check.

So, I can't tell if it is a logging issue. I can't check and see what it does if I don't check. ?

Have someone locally get the Eset logs and date of definition updates. Let me guess, no one local can access Eset's Gui?

I am sorry. I do not understand. Are you saying that if I look at the logs they show activity when I have checked, but if someone is there doing the same exact actions, the log files will be different? I always assumed that a log file was a text file that says whatever it says regardless of who is looking at it. I can't believe that you are suggesting that the log files somehow note the the user logged in from a remote location so they will erase lots of log entries.

I'm sure you have something in mind, but I don't understand what it is. As I've said, I login to over 100 computers and the logs show continuous activity and weekly scans, but this one doesn't. How would where I am viewing the file from make any difference?

18 minutes ago, steveshank said:

I'm sure you have something in mind, but I don't understand what it is.

Maybe the easiest solution is to reinstall NOD32 on that one device.

Reviewing what you posted to date, it really makes no sense to me. Specifically that when you log into the device, it triggers a sig. definition update. This would imply that somehow NOD32's updating behavior is conditioned by your specific logon. This would imply a permissions conflict of some type it would seem.

Do you recommend an uninstall first?

Reviewing what you posted to date, it really makes no sense to me.

Me neither!

Perhaps I confused issues by saying I logged off. Teamviewer returns the computer to the lock screen when I exit. The computer only has 1 user.

In Eset under Tools, Log Files make sure you don't have filtering on which would hide the events you are seeking.  Second, In Eset, check Tools, Scheduler.  Make sure the update tasks are there and enabled.   I recommend  that you revert the list of scheduled tasks to default by clicking "Default"   If the issue persists, I would uninstall Eset, reboot, and then reinstall Eset.

Edited by MarcFL

The filtering isn't the issue as filtering is not on and the items show when I check. I'll re-install. Running a scan manually now.

The clients have this computer running as a file server in the basement in a locked room and really never go down there.

Tried to uninstall before doing a re-install, but program suggested I do a repair. It "repaired" Nod32 and I made a brand new scheduled task to scan late last night. Once again, no even was recorded for 24 hours from yesterday afternoon when I did this to when I re-entered this afternoon. No checks or updates or anything, until I checked back in, then it did the updates.

Does anyone have any idea how this could happen?

Can't help but think something is wrong with your default Eset scheduled update task. Did you make any changes to it? By default it runs repeated, every 60 mins.. If scan was skipped, it runs at next scheduled time.  Finally, both profiles listed use the "active update profile."

Also make sure the clocking on the device is functioning correctly; both BIOS and OS based times are correctly set.

Edited by itman

I submitted this to tech support, and linked to here so they can see what we've tried. An odd thing occurred though. I wanted to give log files, and I chose All files, but it was 43 meg with a 30 day limit. Eset refuses uploads above 8 meg, so I tried 5 days. It was also 43 meg and couldn't be accepted. I'm thinking that is pretty large for 5 days of log files, and why would there be an 8  meg limit if that was normal? This makes me think something is wrong with the log files which you had originally hypothesized. I'm going to investigate clearing the log files, but which ones? Where?

time is ok in Windows. Haven't gone to client office to check BIOS, but everything else seems to run fine including other scheduled tasks.

1 hour ago, steveshank said:

This makes me think something is wrong with the log files which you had originally hypothesized. I'm going to investigate clearing the log files, but which ones? Where?

Eset log files are stored here: C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\Logs. I assume "ESET Security" might be "NOD32" or something in your case.

As far as clearing the log files,  just open each one individually in the Eset GUI. Then position your mouse pointer on an individual log entry and right click. Finally, select "Delete All" to remove all entries within the given log.

• 3 weeks later...

This problem has surfaced on another computer. I have about 100 computers I manage with nod32. 2 of them are file servers. Not actual real servers, just file servers that are not used by a local person, but rather by a few users who save files on it.

Of the 100 regular computers, none have a problem running weekly deep scans.

Both of the file servers will not run weekly scans. One of them has mirrored ssd but the other is just like the regular computers I sell, except it has no local user. As soon as I login remotely, it begins to update and work. Otherwise, when people only save files to it, both of them fail to scan or update.

This is a fairly new problem. Hopefully this can get forwarded to programmers so they can fix it.

Does anyone have nod32 on a file server computer and have it working?