Help needed in choosing the right ESET product

viper37

Hello,
I've tried emailing sales support twice, but nobody ever answers to me.  I guess I'm too small to be noticed.

I am currently using Eset Home products, Internet Security, 3 licenses.  My computer park has grown a little sine I purchased my licenses, so i'm using a mixture of free products and Eset on my network.

I'm a little out of my league here, since I just recently bough&installed Windows Server, never worked with this before, only Windows 10 and a bit of Linux Mint (Debian/Ubuntu).

So, my computer park is as follows:
1 Windows 2016 Essentials file server with SQL Server Express and I'll have to configure and secure a VPN at some point.  An intranet will soon follow for a software I need.  Otherwise, it's basice file access, no e-mail server or web server for the foreseeable future.

5 Windows 10 PCs (3 for office work, 2 for personal use)

1 offsite laptop
2 Android device

various phones connected through the guest network of my router (Asus RT-AC68U)

What I am looking for:
protections similar to what offers ESET Internet Security (firewall, HIPS, file scanner, etc) for all computers.

Ideally, centralized management so that I don't have to switch to each computer to manage updates, firewall problems/pop-ups, virus cleaning, etc.  I'm willing to forgo that option though, if it's too costly.

Questions:
Is an antivirus software necessary on the Windows file server?  if each workstations have anti-virus software on them, am I sufficiently protected?  I can't control what everyone does on their computer, but I've given them regular user accounts and kept the admin account&password for me.  I'm still scared one of them will download some stupid , or clik on a fake attachment and infect all my computers, encrypt my files and all other nastyness.  I was infected by a nasty trojan that Eset couldn't detect or removed once, and I'm paranoid now.  :) I still like these products though :)

Should I buy a 5 license pack for Eset Home Internet Security and use a free antivirus on the laptop?
Do I need protection on the server (other than Defender)?

I'm currently using a free antivirus scanner from a competitive vendor on my android devices, and given the light use (read/answer/forward e-mails ,  I'm doing with this, I'm inclined to keep this rather than invest in Eset mobile protection for now.

So what I really need to cover is the Windows Server essential file server and the 5 Windows 10 PCs.  All of the rest is a bonus, not an essential feature.

What would people here recommend?

• ESET Staff

Hello @viper37,

Could you please reach out to the Canadian team either by calling us at 1-844-423-3738, option 1 or by sending an email to salescanada@eset.ca?

It will be our pleasure to support your request. 

I'm particularly interested in learning what was the email address you used to try to contact us. Could you please let us know as well?

thanks,

Rafael

On 4/23/2018 at 12:49 AM, viper37 said:

Hello,
I've tried emailing sales support twice, but nobody ever answers to me.  I guess I'm too small to be noticed.

I am currently using Eset Home products, Internet Security, 3 licenses.  My computer park has grown a little sine I purchased my licenses, so i'm using a mixture of free products and Eset on my network.

I'm a little out of my league here, since I just recently bough&installed Windows Server, never worked with this before, only Windows 10 and a bit of Linux Mint (Debian/Ubuntu).

So, my computer park is as follows:
1 Windows 2016 Essentials file server with SQL Server Express and I'll have to configure and secure a VPN at some point.  An intranet will soon follow for a software I need.  Otherwise, it's basice file access, no e-mail server or web server for the foreseeable future.

5 Windows 10 PCs (3 for office work, 2 for personal use)

1 offsite laptop
2 Android device

various phones connected through the guest network of my router (Asus RT-AC68U)

What I am looking for:
protections similar to what offers ESET Internet Security (firewall, HIPS, file scanner, etc) for all computers.

Ideally, centralized management so that I don't have to switch to each computer to manage updates, firewall problems/pop-ups, virus cleaning, etc.  I'm willing to forgo that option though, if it's too costly.

Questions:
Is an antivirus software necessary on the Windows file server?  if each workstations have anti-virus software on them, am I sufficiently protected?  I can't control what everyone does on their computer, but I've given them regular user accounts and kept the admin account&password for me.  I'm still scared one of them will download some stupid , or clik on a fake attachment and infect all my computers, encrypt my files and all other nastyness.  I was infected by a nasty trojan that Eset couldn't detect or removed once, and I'm paranoid now.  :) I still like these products though :)

Should I buy a 5 license pack for Eset Home Internet Security and use a free antivirus on the laptop?
Do I need protection on the server (other than Defender)?

I'm currently using a free antivirus scanner from a competitive vendor on my android devices, and given the light use (read/answer/forward e-mails ,  I'm doing with this, I'm inclined to keep this rather than invest in Eset mobile protection for now.

So what I really need to cover is the Windows Server essential file server and the 5 Windows 10 PCs.  All of the rest is a bonus, not an essential feature.

What would people here recommend?

Theres a few package that match your needs, depends on your local distributors, but if this is offered by your local distributor, the below products might sufficient with your need;

https://www.eset.com/int/business/security-packs/ (In some country they offered start from 5 PC+5 Mobile + 1 File Server, on this website they offered start from 10 PC so depends on your local distributors)

But if you want, you can also purchase Eset Endpoint Protection Standard or Advance. This package contain unilicense that match all your needs as per above;

https://www.eset.com/int/business/security-solutions/

Usually we recomended to use ESET Endpoint Security if you mention you need the firewall, thus it exist in the Advance package.

Question : Windows file server need AV?

Ans: Usually yes, as on file server its much easier to create a HIPS rule that block most of unneeded windows function that might lead to manipulation by ransomware  etc. Where if such rules applied to endpoint, endpoint have their own need to access most of the windows functionality. Which why multi-layer protection is necessary.

But again, this is i what i would recomended for the customer back on my country. So for more info you might want to refer to your local distributors as they might have better offer based on your locality and needs.

19 hours ago, rafael.bivar said:

Hello @viper37,

Could you please reach out to the Canadian team either by calling us at 1-844-423-3738, option 1 or by sending an email to salescanada@eset.ca?

It will be our pleasure to support your request. 

I'm particularly interested in learning what was the email address you used to try to contact us. Could you please let us know as well?

thanks,

Rafael

I went to Eset's site, https://www.eset.com/ca/

and I used the contact form (Contact Sales, top left corner of the page), twice, asking for e-mail contact in english or french (I know you have an office in Quebec, I don't know if it's just a lab or also a sales office) or by phone in french, ideally, but english if necessary.

I will send an e-mail to salescanada@eset.ca, thank you.  If that doesn't work, I will try the phone tomorrow, but my english is much better in writing than speaking.

Thank you.

EDIT: Email sent.

Edited by viper37

14 hours ago, khairulaizat92 said:

Theres a few package that match your needs, depends on your local distributors, but if this is offered by your local distributor, the below products might sufficient with your need;

https://www.eset.com/int/business/security-packs/ (In some country they offered start from 5 PC+5 Mobile + 1 File Server, on this website they offered start from 10 PC so depends on your local distributors)

But if you want, you can also purchase Eset Endpoint Protection Standard or Advance. This package contain unilicense that match all your needs as per above;

https://www.eset.com/int/business/security-solutions/

Usually we recomended to use ESET Endpoint Security if you mention you need the firewall, thus it exist in the Advance package.

Question : Windows file server need AV?

Ans: Usually yes, as on file server its much easier to create a HIPS rule that block most of unneeded windows function that might lead to manipulation by ransomware  etc. Where if such rules applied to endpoint, endpoint have their own need to access most of the windows functionality. Which why multi-layer protection is necessary.

But again, this is i what i would recomended for the customer back on my country. So for more info you might want to refer to your local distributors as they might have better offer based on your locality and needs.

Thank you, that is helpful.  I've sent a direct email to sales, maybe they'll answer this time :)
I like Eset's Home products, because they're so easy to use compared to other vendors, and they generally offer very good protection.