might have found a solution for this.

1. go into ESET and turn off the Web Cam protection
  2. open device manager (Win+X and select device manager) and uninstall the camera device  (in my case "USB 2.0 UVC WebCam"
  3. enable webcam protection in ESET.
  4. go back to device manager and select the scan for hardware changes button (or with the device manager open press this key sequence : ALT > a > a)

Web cam protection should be enabled properly now. I don't know what changed in from the previous version, but something obviously change so that Device Control and Web Cam Protection no longer function. 

I am still working on a fix for Device Control.

Found a temporary work around, running a repair from apps/settings in win10, the repair reverted EIS to 11.0.159.0. after the restart, i turned off application updates. under 11.0.159.0, web cam protection and device control are now working under the older version.

i appear to have that version module installed, and under the version i talked about above, the web cam protection and device control work. but updating to 11.1.40.0 causes those two features to not work.

I also have this problem. It started for me with Win 10 and 11.1.40.0  this week and now my version seems to be 11.1.42.0 and still have it on internet security.

I tried cybot's methods to remove the webcam, and reinstall and it fixes it but when you restart your computer it happens again. I had a skype call whilst the module was working okay and interestingly it did not ask me to add the webcam (newly reinstalled) to protection, so the module was not actually working properly. Before it would pop up when you used a camera. For now I have just disabled the protection, it seems to be broken.

that's what i found happens too. so annoying.

my error message says it only affects newly connected cameras until the computer is restarted, but this is clearly not the case.

i'm on 11.1.42.0 now as well

only real fix I have found is to run a repair from app and features, which reverts you to 11.0.159.0. then let it update to 11.0.159.9 and then turn off application updates in eis advanced settings. i admit this is more of a workaround than a fix, but it's all i could come up with so far.

Edited by cybot

• Administrators

Please somebody confirm or deny whether uninstalling ESET and installing v11.1.42 make a difference. Also tell us what operating system you use. I have no problem with a webcam on Windows 7 and a fresh install of EIS v11.1.42.

when i checked the other day the setup program link on the eset site was for 11.0.159.0 the only way to get to 11.1.42 is through updating via the program. 

NOTE: just checked the downloads page, and EIS 11.1.42.0 is now available for download

Edited by cybot

• Administrators
7 hours ago, cybot said:

well you may not have an issue as your running win7. this may or may not be a win10 only issue

That's what we need to find out; whether the issue is occurring only on Windows 10 and under what circumstances (only after upgrade, with a specific 3rd party application or Windows update installed, etc.).

believe it or not... a clean install of 11.1.42.0 will solve the problem of the camera and device control not working. I don't know why it would not work after upgrading, but i can only assume the there is a major change under the hood between the two versions (11.0.159.0 and 11.1.42.0) that is not working well with the upgrade process. At least Eset was quick about packaging up the new version for a full install, which solves the problem.

the windows 10 store app titled "Camera" by M$, works and triggers the camera protection when loaded for the first time, as does the camera application that came with the system, "Toshiba Web Camera application".

device control, likewise seems to be fully working as well.

• Administrators

We've performed upgrade from 11.0.159 to v11.1.42 on several machines running Windows 10 and a web cam connected without issues. Perhaps the issue affects only specific cameras so we would appreciate if you could provide information about the vendor and type of the web cam you use or anything that would help us find the common pattern.

Last week I had the same problem with my inbuilt webcam and ESET version 11.1.42.

After doing a repair (this was a tip from Dutch ESET Customer Support) the problem was over; now I have ESET version 11.0.159.9.

This is the info concerning that webcam (see attached images):

hpwebcam1.png

hpwebcam2.png

• Administrators

I wonder if you could try switching to pre-release updates, upgrade to v11.1.42 and see if the issue occurs or not. If there's an issue, it'd be good to troubleshoot it and find the root cause before the upgrade is distributed to all v11 users. We didn't encounter any issues nor with Device control nor Web protection after upgrade.

Before you upgrade, please collect logs with ELC so that we know your current settings and system configuration. Do you use Windows 10? Do you have Device Control enabled?

• Administrators

Also please let us know if you have Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or Spring Creators update (RedStone 4) from the Insider preview channel installed.

I just upgraded to v11.1.42 with pre-release updates and unfortunately, now the problem is back (see picture, the warning is in Dutch).

Before the upgrade I collected logs with ELC; the size of the zip-file is 48MB. How can I upload it to you?

I don't know if Device Control is enabled; how can I check that?

I'm using Windows 10 Home, version 1709, build 16299.309.

eset-warning.png

I collected the logs and like RGM17 said, let me know the best way to send to you. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version  11.1.42.0 and it is working fine now!

I have Windows 10, not prerelease (fall creators update). device control off. My laptop is almost brand new and the webcam is built in and called EasyCamera (by Realtek). So for me it was something with the update process rather than full install.

Edited by DanielJUK

• Administrators

You can upload ELC logs to OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. and drop me a message with a download link. If possible, collect 2 sets of logs - one before upgrade and one after upgrade and a system reboot if Web protection fails to get enabled.

• Administrators

Thank you. We have eventually pinpointed the issue. It was caused by a new driver class Cameras added in v11.1.42 but the installer didn't register it during uPCU because a new driver was already installed. We've prepared a fixed version 11.1.42.1 which will be put on pre-release servers probably later today or tomorrow.

The issue should occur only if your webcam appears under "Cameras" in the Device manager. If it appears under "Imaging devices", the issue shouldn't occur. Please confirm.

28 minutes ago, Marcos said:

The issue should occur only if your webcam appears under "Cameras" in the Device manager. If it appears under "Imaging devices", the issue shouldn't occur. Please confirm.

In my case this is correct.

hpwebcam3.png