Installation - Is there an easier way?

Marco2526

Let me explain our current situation:

We previously had a server set up solely for ESET, there were problems with it which led to the server crashing and we lost the era_db and nothing was recoverable.

We had many computers and servers with ESET installed that have now deactivated themselves, I am assuming due to the server being down ESET deactivated itself . Starting from scratch we had rebuild the server (we used a new IP address and name as the previous details were now being used for another server). This left the ESET administrator agents pointing to a server that no longer existed.

We rebuilt a new server for ESET and the Admin Console.

With regards to the already existing ESET Endpoint Security software on client machines, I have been doing it manually by uninstalling the remote agent or repairing the agent with the new certificates in order for it to point to the correct server however we are a company of 200+ users and this has proven to be a mammoth task as I am the only one doing it. Plus doing it manually requires me to go to the client machine, log into the local administrator profile and adjust the software, sometimes it fails due to the services running and I then have to disable the services, restart the machine and repair or reinstall the software depending on the situation. With 200+ users this will take a incredibly as I am doing it on my own and the current way of doing ridiculously long.

Is there a way to remotely deploy ESET and it's agent or to reconfigure the agent remotely without having to manually add the certificates yourself to have ESET update?

I will appreciate any feedback highly as this taking up so much time.

Edited by Marco2526

• ESET Staff

You can easily redeploy the ERA agent using any of the supported methods (push deployment, live installers, GPO/SCCM...)

If you have SCCM / GPO in place, the best method will be to deploy the ERA agent using this. If the ERA agent version is the same, as the one currently installed, it will execute "repair" = meaning update the ERA server connection information and also the new certificates.

PS: Crashing ERA server should never affect if product is activated or not. ERA is not acting as "licensing authority", it´s also a "transfer agent" for the licenses, meaning, when you start "software activation", it will deliver a token, that will Endpoint then exchange for license, upon connection to ESET licensing servers.  Haven´t you recently performed an upgrade to Endpoint 6.6.2068.0 (or any other 6.6)? There were issues with this build, which could have resulted into situation, when Endpoint was claiming it does not have valid license credentials, and was not able to update.

1 hour ago, MichalJ said:

You can easily redeploy the ERA agent using any of the supported methods (push deployment, live installers, GPO/SCCM...)

If you have SCCM / GPO in place, the best method will be to deploy the ERA agent using this. If the ERA agent version is the same, as the one currently installed, it will execute "repair" = meaning update the ERA server connection information and also the new certificates.

PS: Crashing ERA server should never affect if product is activated or not. ERA is not acting as "licensing authority", it´s also a "transfer agent" for the licenses, meaning, when you start "software activation", it will deliver a token, that will Endpoint then exchange for license, upon connection to ESET licensing servers.  Haven´t you recently performed an upgrade to Endpoint 6.6.2068.0 (or any other 6.6)? There were issues with this build, which could have resulted into situation, when Endpoint was claiming it does not have valid license credentials, and was not able to update.

How does one implement the supported methods? As we have GPO in place however not SCCM. We do have SCCM planned but it will not be implemented anytime soosn.

Is there perhaps instructions somewhere where I can do this?

No I haven't performed an upgrade, is there perhaps documentation on that?

PS: I am the junior (I don't have the greatest knowledge) at my company and was given this to rectify, unfortunately no one here knows how it works, so I have been trying to figure out. I have fiddled with the admin console quite a bit but there are a lot of settings which I am unsure of.

• ESET Staff

The only thing I can recommend, is to check our deployment documentation, where you will find instructions / descriptions for individual deployment methods: http://help.eset.com/era_admin/65/en-US/index.html?fs_agent_deploy.htm

You can use any of them, to re-deploy (=repair) your damaged agents, but just make sure, that the agent you will be deploying, is the same version as the agent that is already installed (you can check the ERA server version in the "about" section (accessible in the help menu next to the logout button), and version of the installed agent in client details, of the computer.