ESET freezes my MAC

Hello,
I'm user of Cyber Security Pro in Slovak language on my MacBook Pro 2017 with latest High Sierra. For backups I'm using Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner (scheduled to 6pm everyday). It backups to Synology DS216play. Using version 6.5.4321 (tried to update to newer version but it still shows me my version is latest)

Everytime backup starts (6pm) my macbook freezes after some minutes. There is no freeze if ESET is turned off. Tried to contact support of Carbon Copy Cloner, they did some tests with me and problem is with ESET (more apps like spotify, 1password etc. freeze because of ESET).

Support told me that I must write to ESET support so I'm trying it here and they extracted spindump with 30 affected processes for ESET support (see attachment)

Can you help me please?
Thank you.

ESET-affected processes.txt

Edited by Ren

• Most Valued Members

Hello,

Firstly, please manually update to the latest version of ESET Cyber Security Pro by clicking on the download button below. For your convenience, this directly links to the Slovak language version of ECSP, version 6.5.600. Simply run the dmg and it should perform an upgrade for you. Once complete, restart macOS.

Download ESET Cyber Security Pro

Secondly, have you set exclusions for your backup destinations? Exclusions are set in ESET Menu Bar Icon > Preferences... > General > Exclusions Setup...

For Time Machine, make sure you have excluded:

• the Backups.backupdb folder on your backup destination (eg. /Volumes/Synology_DS216play/Backups.backupdb/*.*)
  • If you are using the new AFPS on your Macintosh HD, you will need to also create an exclusion for the local snapshots Volume that is created. This will be resolved in a future update, but for now you will need to add an exclusion manually. This is located at /Volumes/com.apple.TimeMachine.localsnapshots/. If you are unable to see this, you either are not using AFPS, or you need to enable Hidden files in ESET Preferences... > User Interface and restart macOS first.

For Carbon Copy Cloner, make sure you have excluded the entire destination drive.

Once you have done the manual upgrade, and added the exclusions... see how your backup goes at 6pm again. I would also open ESET Cyber Security Pro, go to Tools > Protection statistics and select the Real-time protection graph so while the backup is being done, you are able to see if ESET is interrupting the backup still. You will see this under Scanned object: on the bottom. If you see anything being scanned aggressively that you know is from Time Machine or CCC, it means that destination or process will also need to be excluded.

Let us know how you go. Hope this helps.

Edited by planet
typo

Hello,

thank you for your answer. Tried it and tried to start backups manually, seems it's ok now. Will wait to 6pm for automatic backup.

Thank you so much.

Snímka obrazovky 2018-01-06 o 12.20.11.png

• Most Valued Members
12 hours ago, Ren said:

thank you for your answer. Tried it and tried to start backups manually, seems it's ok now. Will wait to 6pm for automatic backup.

You're welcome @Ren, let us know how the automatic backup went.