Process Not Ending?

Seems Eset firewall is trying to hook into process but never brings up a notification or whatnot to show the usual allow/deny access. This started recently from what I gather and I do not know why. Every time I try to end some processe through task manager it denies me a termination. As I mentioned before it started recently (say maybe a week or so ago). I am not sure what modules you've changed/update to handle things now but is anyone else is having the same issue as me with ESSv7? I think its related to ESS since I never had a process stuck before with ESS installed but whatever updates that recently took place now its somehow keeping my processes in background after I have closed them.

post-2314-0-11492400-1385189037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morisato

Can you confirm if this issue still occurs when you temporarily disable protection and firewall together ? Can you then end different processes ?
If not . . .

Can you then confirm if uninstalling ESET resolves the issue ?

A third thing to check, is to confirm your user account is a member of the Administrators workgroup, as well as the file in question (not able to terminate) has the ACL list built with Administrators AND SYSTEM with Full control permissions ?

Please report back once you have checked through these.

:)

Sorry you are having troubles Morisato !

Well I can safely say its the Eset SS firewall itself. Something has changed or some module update has changed within its functioning where it sometimes doesn't show a popup at all when there are incoming/outgoing connections where it hooks onto the process in which its suppose to bring up a popup but does not. Similar to the other threads where the graphical glitch just shows a popup window with no info on it. I rebooted first to terminate the .exe successfully since its under administrative priority so I couldn't terminate it in any other fashion or form. Once booted into win7 I disabled the Eset firewall first to run the process again to recreate the condition it but I was able to terminate it successfully without it remaining in background. I re-enabled the firewall thereafter and ran the process again but this time it showed the connections pop-up as it should. Once I allowed/denied and terminated the process did it successfully terminate as intended. For whatever reason, it seems the eset firewall interactive mode connections pop-up isn't doing its usual intended pop-ups as before so something must've changed recently on how its handling these processes that initiate the connections pop-ups. If anyone knows of what recently changed in perhaps the firewall modules, please let me know. v1153 20131028 was the last known update of that module in particular and I think its messed with the interactive mode a bit. Maybe Marcos can take a look at it when he gets the chance.

P.S. For some reason IE11 won't let me copy/paste on this forum... had to use Fx

• Administrators

I strongly doubt that firewall would have any effect on this as it doesn't hook on processes at all. It is not clear what protection module needs to be disabled for the issue to go away.

Could be the HIPS. I'll mess around to see if I can reproduce it. In the meantime I unticked Scan on execution and so far haven't experienced any more locked processes.

Well it's been about a week now and no more process locked into background. I can safely say it had something to do with the scan on execution as that was the only option I unticked. Well it was the only option I had left ticked as I unticked scan on file open and file creation before. Any reason why this might be the case Marcos? Other than that I consider this solved now.