Unable to install "Windows Updates" found by ESET to be missing

• Most Valued Members
8 minutes ago, NginUS said:

In Windows 10 Pro ESET Internet Security alerts me to Windows Updates that the native Windows Update utility refuses to install or even acknowledge are missing.

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/7Pldo

Screenshot_20171107_154503.png

Screenshot_20171107_154447.png

Screenshot_20171107_154409.png

I've had this happen before - to find the updates I had to go into device manager which you can access by right clicking on the start button and clicking device manager and then checking each device manually for updates. However you can simply open eset, hit F5 and then go to the tools tab where there is a microsoft update area. If you change the option to important or critical it will stop finding these.

It seems these are updates that might already be installed, or at least a newer one is, but the device manager finds a more recommended but often earlier update. It's apparently not eset's fault as eset is just showing what windows is finding even though windows update finds nothing. Confusing I know.

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, itman said:

Yeah, I have had the same issue for sometime. In my case, its for a HP printer driver long ago uninstalled.

Is there a way to scan all devices in the device manager for an update? I found it kept finding an intel watchdog update and I eventually found it by manually checking for updates for each device in the device manager. Would be handy if there was a way to basically do this automatically for all drivers.

8 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Is there a way to scan all devices in the device manager for an update? I found it kept finding an intel watchdog update and I eventually found it by manually checking for updates for each device in the device manager. Would be handy if there was a way to basically do this automatically for all drivers.

Like I said driver is long ago gone. Also in Win 10, there is no way to check for "ghosted" drivers as was possible previously using:

devmgr show_details=1

devmgr show_nonpresent_devices=1

Suspect there are registry traces remaining for the driver and that is what Eset is keying off of. 

• Most Valued Members
Just now, itman said:

Like I said driver is long ago gone. Also in Win 10, there is no way to check for "ghosted" drivers as was possible previously using:

devmgr show_details=1

devmgr show_nonpresent_devices=1

Suspect there are registry traces remaining for the driver and that is what Eset is keying off of. 

Eset finds a driver for my printer - it is installed and up to date but it found an old one. Tried finding the exact driver and installing it to see if it would go away but no good. I wondered if it was to do with the fact I couldn't connect my printer via usb as it is a specific usb cable rather than a generic one which I have lost and just use via wifi now. However I even cleared the devices that aren't plugged in with no look so changed eset update settings for now.