Phantom account doesn't unlock after recovering

Hello, I've recently had a login into the phantom account and the Anti-Theft locked me out of our main user account. I've logged into the Anti-Theft account and told it we had 'recovered' the device, but to no avail. Still cannot sign in. Need help

Edited by Aryeh Goretsky
edited title for clarity

• Administrators

Once you have marked your computer as missing and a phantom account has been created, you should still be able to log in to your original account on the logon screen after entering the appropriate password. The phantom account will remain created. Do you mean that you have no option to log into your account and only the phantom account is available?

That's right. After I marked "I recovered my device" it did not restart and the only account I have access to is the phantom one. I tried to restart it myself but it did not work and I can't access my data so I can not install a new copy of windows. I also tried marking my deivice as missing again and restart the process several times, but nothing worked.

• Administrators

I assume that the computer is connected to the Internet so that ESS can communicate with ESET's EDF servers, isn't it? Please drop me a pm with the email address that you use to log in to my.eset.com portal as well as the computer's name (if you have more devices registered).

• ESET Staff

Try to revert device to stolen and back to normal from another device (another comp, tablet, phone etc), not from affected device itself.

hope it helps,

peter

I am having the same issue.  My son's computer was logged onto via the phantom account and he "left it at school" so I marked it as missing.  Next day he got it back, but even though I marked it as recovered it automatically logs onto the phantom account when powered up without offering any other account choices, and while in the phantom account, it appears to be the only account on the computer.  How do I get back into the other accounts?
I tried reverting to missing and then back to recovered several times, with his computer connected via different wifi hotspots to no avail.  This is a brand new computer just given to him last week, and it is locked so that I can't install anything on it, and he can't get to his work he stored on it.  All it can do now is browse the internet, and it appears I can't even restore it to the factory original configuration because it is locked out.
How do I fix this?

• 1 month later...

Same issue

I have done all the above and still remain locked out.

I am unable to log in via settings>users>...> log in with a  microsoft account... as it states that the account is already being used on this computer.

Feels a bit bitter sweet... having lost my laptop, and it still remains lost even after getting it back.

Edited by Dizzee

after calling tech support... I left my computer on for a while (I was told 20 minutes), restarted, and there it was.. my main account.... I think better notification/instructions on the anti-theft page.

fyi: I also,  revert device to stolen and back to normal from the same device prior to simply leaving it... although I believe I waited over 20 minutes and it didnt work but after I left it for a few hours and back to normal.. yay

Edited by Dizzee