How to disable the "background scanning"?

Jake

When I go to statistics I see that the number of scanned objects go up and I can see what it is scanning. How do I disable this "background scanning". I thought it was HIPS, but I tried that and it wasn't.
I am using ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7 Beta.

• Administrators

You'd need to disable real-time protection but this would leave your computer unprotected. It's the role of real-time protection to scan all files that are created or accessed by the operating system or 3rd party applications. Are you experiencing any issue with real-time scanning?

Thanks for the quick reply.

My computer is using 50,000-80,000K of memory all the time, so I think its the scanning that is making it do that. 

Also maybe making svchost.exe use about 140,000K although that might be something else.

I would be very grateful if you could help me fix this.

Hi Jake.

The statistics will increase by one number with every object that is scanned, that's just normal, obviously.

My computer is using 50,000-80,000K of memory all the time,

What do you mean with that exactly, are you referring to ekrn.exe? 

If YES, then that's totally normal too. 

But to the question, why do you want to disable the realtime protection ? Are you having performance issue or something else?

Anyhow, it's better that you work with ESET to fix the problem that you got (if you actually have a problem) then disabling the realtime protection. :)

Edited by SweX

Sorry I forgot to say that the thing using 50,000-80,000K of memory was ekrn.exe. I don't want to disable real-time-protection, I just want it to stop using that amount of memory. NOD32 is suppose to use very little memory compared to other AV's right? But it seems it uses the most memory and you say this is normal?

Edited by Jake

• Administrators

50-80 MB is normal nowadays, also given that only the engine with signature database is about 31 MB in size which needs to be loaded in memory. Also memory is used for operations that would otherwise require writing to the disk which speeds us scanning a lot.

Sorry I forgot to say that the thing using 50,000-80,000K of memory was ekrn.exe. I don't want to disable real-time-protection, I just want it to stop using that amount of memory. NOD32 is suppose to use very little memory compared to other AV's right? But it seems it uses the most memory and you say this is normal?

Thanks, good to know, then everything is as it should.  B)

Regarding the RAM usage (you're not the first asking/wondering ;)). I will quote myself on that so you may understand why ESET is designed this way......

ESET loads all signatures and modules into the RAM to increase the system performance, wich results in lower CPU usage and lower HDD I/O activity to make the system more responsive(faster), since the RAM is faster than the HDD it's better to use the RAM than reading to/from the harddrive all the time(more or less), and it's been this way since V3 (at least) when I started to use ESET. It results in a higher RAM usage, but also a faster product, and a faster system.

And this isn't a bad thing at all IMO. After all I use ESET on an old PC with 512MB of RAM. 

What I am saying is basically, that a product that only uses 5-10MB of RAM could still feel heavier on the system and could cause more slowdowns than for example ESET.

The bottom line is, one should not measure how light/heavy a product is based on the RAM usage only  :)

Edited by SweX