[SOLUTION] HIPS disabled after 9.0.402 update

Samoréen

Hi,

If you have this problem (HIPS cannot be enabled after updating to 9.0.402), here is how I fixed it :

1. In the ESET interface, go to Tools | Logs | Events and note which drivers have not been installed (generally eamonm.sys and/or ehdrv.sys and/or epfwwfpr.sys).

2. Reboot in safe mode.

3. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Drivers. Open the subfolder corresponding to the driver that failed to install, right-click the corresponding .inf file and select Install. The driver installation should be acknowledged by Windows. If epfwwfpr.sys is in your list, process it as the last one since its installation requires a reboot.

4. Restart the system. Everything should be OK.

For me, uninstalling version 9.0.386 using the ESET uninstaller and re-installing from scratch has been a loss of time. Also, I have monitored the driver installation process using specific tools and I could see that there was no permission problems as suggested by the support. The driver installation works because ESET is not active in safe mode. So I suspect that ESET itself is the culprit. This problem is new to version 9.0.402 and this needs a fix (otherwise, I guess we'll have the same problem with future updates).

Apparently, this is a Windows 10 specific issue. No problem observed here on Windows 7.

This problem seems to appear when your TMP/TEMP variables point to a non default folder.

Edited by Samoréen
Diagnostic more accurate now

• 2 months later...

This problem is new to version 9.0.402 and this needs a fix (otherwise, I guess we'll have the same problem with future updates).

Hi,

Bingo! I just installed version 10.0.369.0 and the very same problem occurred. Again, I had to install the above mentioned drivers manually in Safe Mode.

• 6 months later...

Still the same old story...

I just installed 10.1.204.0 manually (because 10.0.390.0 still said "up-to-date") and again I had to reboot in Safe Mode, install the above mentioned drivers manually and then reboot.

I have reported this last year and now, I'd really like to have information about the possible reasons for which these drivers do not install correctly in "normal" mode.

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1511.

• 2 months later...

same problem here.

For some reason it keeps installing older versions of the required drivers:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\

09/03/2017 - version 10.1.3.0

eamonm.sys

edevmon.sys

eelam.sys

ehdrv.sys

ekbdflt.sys

epfw.sys

epfwwfp.sys

I did a safe mode reboot, I couldnot replace the driver, but I could rename the file to _eamonm.sys

Then I could place the new file next to the _eamonm.sys and reboot.

My system is working for now!

Thanks for the hint.

I still have no clue where the older eamonm.sys file is coming from....