Creating a package - ERA5 - username/password required

MarathonIT

Using ERA5 with MSP licensing.   I put a license key into the ESET MSP Utility and it picks up my license username (that thing starting with EAV) from the ESET servers and my licenses are available for my use.

Problem is, I need that EAV name and a password to download installers from ESET - I have no idea what the password is.   Seems silly that I should need it and not have it, but where is it?    I looked through all the license management pages, through the MSU and the ERA.   Can't find it.  

Am I chasing my tail?   Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

• Administrators

What installers are you attempting to download and from what links? Authentication should not be required to download them.

• ESET Staff

Hello,

Under MSP program, you should not be downloading the software from the web.

Instead, after installing EMU, it should prepare you "smart installers" which includes the license information in them.

This help article should be able to help you locating them, and installing them: hxxp://help.eset.com/msp_guide_emea/index.html?install_eset_client_software.htm

Hope that this helps.

In ERA5, under Actions, Manage Packages.

Choose Language, then Product, then it says a username and password are required to download.

The only reason I am downloading to create a package is that one computer refuses to accept a remote install, and sometimes installing locally tells me the reason.

I wish the installer would product more useful errors than just "1603" - I've been through the KB docs and can't figure out what's wrong.   I know it's not the ESET product, but something dumb in the target computer, but I think ESET could be more specific in its objection to installing on it.

Anyway, if I do need a password to install this .msi file, I need to know where to find it.

Thanks

I would recommend going locally to that machine and logging in with a domain admin or local admin account. remove all remnants of ESET if it dropped any during install. 

>> Registry >> hkey_current_user_>>Software   and hkey_local_machine>>software and make sure ESET is out of here. Also check program files and confirm ESET is not present. 

Go into services and confirm that windows installer service is not greyed out when you try to set default startup method or trying to start or stop. If these items are greyed out then you will need to run a sfc /scannow from elevated command prompt. you can also re-register the windows installer service if its not greyed out in services. 

>> Method 1: Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer

Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. 
Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.
Click Start, click Run, type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. 

Reboot the system. Log back into the domain admin or local user account and try install again from local machine. 

save the MSI locally to the machine in question and then open a command prompt. 
CD into the directory you saved the MSI. 

type the first couple letters of the MSI and then TAB. Us the no conflict switch >> 
example:    ees_nt_64_enu.msi ignore_conflcts=1 

Hopefully this works for you. 

Thanks Michal for locating the installation files for me.   Been doing them automatically for so long, I completely forgot about all that.

Turns out that, even though it had long been uninstalled, the ESET installation script detected Norton Internet Security on the computer.   All I had to do was delete the empty registry key:   HKLM\Software\Norton

After that, the installation was successful.    

Amazing how much time I spent going through multiple documents step by step, trying to find out what was wrong.

Question:   if ESET can point out what's wrong when I install the .msi locally on the computer, why can't it report that back through a push installation, instead of the generic 1603 error code, which just means, "It failed"?

tmuster2k - looks like the "ignoreconflicts" switch could be dangerous, but it is good to know that such a thing exists.   If you're sure there isn't a competitive product installed, that switch would sure save time.

Thanks all...

Thanks Michal for locating the installation files for me.   Been doing them automatically for so long, I completely forgot about all that.

Turns out that, even though it had long been uninstalled, the ESET installation script detected Norton Internet Security on the computer.   All I had to do was delete the empty registry key:   HKLM\Software\Norton

After that, the installation was successful.    

Amazing how much time I spent going through multiple documents step by step, trying to find out what was wrong.

Question:   if ESET can point out what's wrong when I install the .msi locally on the computer, why can't it report that back through a push installation, instead of the generic 1603 error code, which just means, "It failed"?

tmuster2k - looks like the "ignoreconflicts" switch could be dangerous, but it is good to know that such a thing exists.   If you're sure there isn't a competitive product installed, that switch would sure save time.

Thanks all...

the no conflicts switch will bypass the look for Norton remnants. you only run this once you have confirmed that the bigger pieces of Norton have been removed. Ex- services and drivers