Using too much CPU & Memory

I switched back to ESET Smart Security a couple weeks ago after a year of frustration using Kaspersky. Now ESET is consistently using 30-40% of my CPU and 800-1200 MB of memory at any given time. Its usage is really bogging down my Lenovo T420. Is there any way to switch it to a low resource or background mode? If not, I think I'm going to have to dump ESET again.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2520 2.50GHz

Memory: 8.00GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)

• Administrators

Do you have the latest v9 installed? Does switching to pre-release updates make a difference? Does the memory consumption rise after launching a browser and opening a lot of websites in tabs?

Do you have the latest v9 installed? Does switching to pre-release updates make a difference? Does the memory consumption rise after launching a browser and opening a lot of websites in tabs?

I have the  latest version installed. I only installed ESET a couple weeks ago after switching away for a year to Kaspersky. The biggest spikes seem to be when I first start up my laptop and when I open Outlook 2010. Outlook also seems to take forever to load now.

There is a serious problem with the ESS9 outlook add-in, I use Outlook 2016 but the symptoms are the same.

See the thread "ESET SS9 Huge memory leak with Outlook 2016"

It can be disabled within Outlook (options, look for add-in), but I have discovered recently that it gets back on by itself after a while, likely when ESS9 updates.

[edit] Even better now, I can no longer disable the add-in from Outlook unless I am running my administrator account, something I do not like to do. The only solution now is to uncheck "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook inder ESS9 "Advanced Setup/web and email/Email client protection". This leads to a continuous red flag but this is the only way for me to be able to read my email without my PC fan whirring like mad for no reason.

I have been with ESET for years and always recommend it for being "light and unintrusive", hence my uncovering this problem after long and protracted attempts to realise it was down to ESS9... one of the last thing I would have thought possible. I cannot say for sure, but this problem may have cropped-up when I pressed that button to upgrade to SS9.

Can something be done about this please? The first post on the linked thread is from January already.

Edited by Vacendak

• Administrators

Does temporarily excluding Outlook from protocol filtering and restarting the computer make a difference? (Setup -> Web and email -> Excluded applications - Edit)

Since the Outlook plug-in will remain enabled, email will still be scanned.

Marcos,

Thanks for looking into this.

Good idea but no. Back to silly CPU load.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Outlook cannot be closed (with the ESET add-in ticked on). Well, the application closes, but I have to kill the Outlook.exe process.manually.

As mentioned in the other thread, for some reason, not always repeatable, which is annoying: If I leave Outlook alone (with the ESS9 add-in enabled of course) for a while by letting it run in the background, the activity somewhat abates and I can then close Outlook normally. So maybe there is a finite operation that the ESET add-in performs, get stuck somehow and at times completes at other time does not...

Sure my PC is old, hence likely to send the fan spinning a bit when it gets pushed too hard, but we are talking about emails here, not high FPS computer gaming. And it definitely worked fine not so long ago. Again, I had only recently realised that ESS9 was ready for download/update, and things were fine prior to that.

Edited by Vacendak

Marcos,

I have just tried to play arounf with the "Email client integration" and "Email to scan" options under the Web and Email section. I of course opt in for "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook" and tried to disable only "Enable email protection by client plugins", then selectively for received email/sent email/read email. No luck.

Only removing "Integrate into Microsoft Outlook" will do at the moment.

While doing those tests: Opening and closing Outlook (then killling the process), I noticed that the ESET interface becomes stuck for a while, and I cannot access the Advanced Setup window, for instance: it opens but does not fill-in, i.e. hangs and remains blank. Even with the Outlook process having been killed, said process kill, or an ESS9 response to closing Outlook, hogs the CPU for a bit (no additional running process shows-up though). Once the Outlook closure is out of the way, the ESET advanced setup window fills up appropriately and I can again remove the outlook integration tick.

Edited by Vacendak

• 2 weeks later...