Update issue with ESET Smart Security

I've just started to get a security alert telling me that the virus signature database is out of date but when I click on update it says that there is no new updates are available and I have the latest version 12591 (20151119) that was updated on 30/01/2016 at 1:00:09 PM. I can see on the update page that there been a lot of updates since then but ESET Smart Security can't or won't detect them.

Is it normal for the log collector to take over an hour to work? After nearly two hours of it running and nothing happening (as far as i could see as the file it was creating was 0kb) I cancelled it  and trying again.

• Administrators

Try disabling Self-defense and restarting the computer first. There's a known issue with Self-defense blocking requests to create a SysInspector log which will be addressed via an automatic module update soon. After collecting logs, try switching to pre-release updates and see if that works (you can switch to regular updates then).

Logs sent and it updated straight away without me manually clicking "update now", not sure if because I disabled Self-defense or because I selected pre-released updates.