can i protect my host file with eset smart security 9 ?

Go to solution Solved by itman,

That should be possible by creating an appropriate HIPS rule.

thanks

and may i know how create an appropriate hips rule??

because i want that no programs can edit it

thanks

• Solution

Note the following applies to ver.8. Your HIPS screen display in ver. 9 will be slightly different.

The following HIPS will cause an alert to be generated for any changes to the hosts file. Note: file path is valid for WIN 7; might be different on later Win versions. Make sure you click on the "OK" tab after creating the rule and for every OK prompt from the HIPS thereafter before exiting the HIPS rule creation GUI. If you want to just unconditionally block w/o alert being generated, change the action to "block" from "ask" and uncheck the notify user option.

post-6784-0-37546600-1453669904_thumb.png

Edited by itman

Note the following applies to ver.8. Your HIPS screen display in ver. 9 will be slightly different.

The following HIPS will cause an alert to be generated for any changes to the hosts file. Note: file path is valid for WIN 7; might be different on later Win versions. Make sure you click on the "OK" tab after creating the rule and for every OK prompt from the HIPS thereafter before exiting the HIPS rule creation GUI. If you want to just unconditionally block w/o alert being generated, change the action to "block" from "ask" and uncheck the notify user option.

attachicon.gifEset_host_rule.png

Hi Itan  , it works!!!!

really very happy , i appreciate your help

i'm wondering if there are a list of files /folder to protect

for example firefox or chrome , to avoid to be hijacked

I put the rule in and got alerts for every program/process using the internet, must check the hosts file.

Killed the rule after about 10 alerts.

Also caused a error with my wireless connection.

Running Win 10 Pro

For me, a bad rule

Edited by ken1943

I put the rule in and got alerts for every program/process using the internet, must check the hosts file.

Killed the rule after about 10 alerts.

Also caused a error with my wireless connection.

Running Win 10 Pro

For me, a bad rule

I know of no reason why there should be constant updates to the host file in WIN 10. Might be something you want to check out.