Windows 10 crashed right after I installed smart security

I've got a brand new computer.  Just took it out of the box.  Came with windows 10 pre installed.  It worked fine, I did a couple of things.

Then I installed the ESET smart security software.  About 30 seconds later the computer froze.

Maybe the timing is just a coincidence, and the two have nothing to do with each other, but I suspect that it's no coincidence.

Now nothing works.  I can move the cursor on screen but clicking on things has no effect.  The keyboard has no effect.  Ctr+alt+del does nothing.  I kill the power and restart but once windows loads it is immediately frozen.  I can't get it to launch in safe mode.  I can't do anything.

Advice?

Edited by michael13

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

New computers usually come with a preinstalled trial version of an antivirus software. Before installing ESET Smart Security, it is necessary to check this and uninstall any other security product.

In case you can't get to safe mode or access the hard drive and remove the problematic product, I recommend to restore the PC from recovery.

before you login go to power icon and click it. you should have three options sleep restart and shutdown.

now hold down the shift key and click restart.

you should get a light blue menu with two options continue to windows and advanced options 

select advanced options

you should now see an option to refresh the pc click that and follow the instructions

if you need more help just ask   

• ESET Moderators

I believe at this point the PC is already unresponsive, but if it's not, that simplifies the matter, then you can get to safe mode and remove our product using the ESET Uninstaller, reboot the PC, uninstall the preinstalled security software, reboot again and install ESET Smart Security.

Thanks to all. I have completely reset my computer to the state it was in before I purchased it.

I was able to do this turning it on, and in the middle of the startup process I held the power button to force it to shut off in mid start-up. I did this a couple of times. Then I started up and it gave me the option to launch the trouble shooter. I did, and from there it was straight forward to completely reset the computer.

I all most forgot you can also access safe mode from the advanced options menu

click on start up options then click restart  

you will need to press 5 as that is safe mode with networking