Virus SigDB Update: Server not found

Hello Communtity,

I'm a new ESET user from germany. 10 years with kaspersky - it was time to change :-)

So, ESET Smart Security is great, set it and forget it.

But here is a little problem. The Virus SigDB Update say ever dav: Server not found. If i click the  manual Update, it works fine. Hmmm, my licence is valid, i can ping the ESET-Server and I uninstall and reinstall Smart Security. Well, it's a licences for 3 PC and I have the issues of all PC's.

Any Ideas?

THX and grettings! 

post-8753-0-74556500-1441902405_thumb.png

• Administrators

Please run cmd.exe and then "reg export "HKLM\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Plugins\01000400\Settings" reg.txt". Open reg.txt and remove the lines containing username and password. Save the file and post it here.

• Administrators

The update servers are set correctly so something must be preventing ekrn.exe from communicating with update servers. Couldn't it be that there's another firewall between your computer and the Internet that could be causing this? Are you able to open hxxp://um01.eset.com/eset_upd/v8/update.ver in a browser?

Hi Marcos,

thanks for help!

Yes, I can open the URL  and I see a "Save File Dialog" to save the update.ver

Well, the Windows Firewall are still runnig, but I read in the knowledge base, that is ok for "special communication".

Edited by Andreas_SQL

• Administrators

Do you mean that ESS never updates automatically, even if you leave the computer turned on for 2-3 hours? Have you modified default update tasks in Scheduler after installing ESS?

No, the tasks I have not changed.

I'll leave your computer running overnight and see how it behaves with the updates.

But I have an idea, here is running Win10 64bit.

The computer is never shut down, but overnight I set the Computer in the "Energy Save" Mode. Perhaps this is why.....

• Administrators
The computer is never shut down, but overnight I set the Computer in the "Energy Save" Mode. Perhaps this is why.....

Yes, that could be it. ESET won't update if it takes longer to establish Internet connection when Windows starts or if the computer is in energy-save mode with no Internet connectivity (e.g. if wi-fi gets disabled to lower power consumption).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Marcos, am facing the same problem. Manual update works just fine but automatic doesn't.

Please answer the questions above: "Do you mean that ESS never updates automatically, even if you leave the computer turned on for 2-3 hours? Have you modified default update tasks in Scheduler after installing ESS?"