ThreatSense Cleaning Options

Guest iTech

Is there a way to have it so that any virus/malware/rootkit etc. is automatically DELETED. I do not want it to try and clean the file and then delete on failure, I want it to delete the file on detection.

Automatic deletion of files is usually a bad idea since no AV can guarantee that there will be zero false-positives.

But in any case, ESET does always quarantine the file/s when ever a threat is found, and you can then delete the file/s permanently from within the quarantine in the GUI if you want to do that. 

So automatic deletion is not a recommended method to be used by anyone, incase you want to restore the file later on if it turns out to be an FP on a very very important file.

In my opinion :)

• Administrators

You can use strict cleaning mode if you want to have any files cleaned automatically without asking, regardless of whether it's a system file, archive also containing clean files or a file infected with a virus for which cleaning is not supported yet.

Guest Guest

So I guess the best bet for me is to have something that will ALWAYS ask me what to do. What setting would I have to change for that?

Guest iTech

Is there a way to set all the cleaning options for the various ThreatSense engines at once?

• ESET Staff

Hi iTech,

Take a look at this article, it covers how to configure the standard cleaning level for real-time file system protection. As Marcos stated, we recommend that you use the standard setting, but this is the quickest way to make the type of universal changes you seem to be looking for.

Guest iTech

What exactly does cleaning entail for a file, rar, etc.? Does it remove the infected file(s) from a RAR/ZIP file and leave the others intact? Does it quarantine the entire file?

• ESET Staff

Hi iTech,

Cleaning is different from deleting the file because it attempts to remove malicious data and provide you with a clean, usable copy of the file. Cleaned files are not quarantined, however if an archive like the one from your example contains a malicious file that cannot be cleaned, it will be quarantined rather than deleted using default settings. All files that cannot be cleaned are quarantined by default, however by using the settings adjustments we discussed earlier in this thread you can change the way that ESET behaves towards files that cannot be cleaned. You can choose to take no action against these files, quarantine them, or delete them immediately.