How to "completely" whitelist an application...?

I am having issues before/after defragging with MD (MyDefrag), (Defraggler too))?-

1. I have to Open/close(trust) /reboot before defragging.

2. I then have to reboot twice, and Trust MD again.

3. After the next cold startup I have to reboot Trust MD again/reboot.

MD doesn't connect with the internet, so Learning mode didn't help.

Is there some way that I can 100% Trust... MD, so that ESS v8 will auto-Allow... everything it does, or...?

• Administrators

What does help? Disabling firewall completely? Disabling web protection? Disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup? Or something else?

Trust = ?

Are you saying that you want to exclude it from being scanned in any way ?

Edited by SweX

Trust = ?

Yes I want it to be excluded in any way!-

When defragging ESS scans every file it moves, and Really slows down defrag? Exactly How do I exclude MD, without temp disabling Any protection?

Trust = ?

Yes I want it to be excluded in any way!-

When defragging ESS scans every file it moves, and Really slows down defrag? Exactly How do I exclude MD, without temp disabling Any protection?

I can't answer if ESET slows down defragging with this app or not since I don't use it.

It's not recommended, but if you want to see if it makes a difference then you could exclude the app from being scanned by ESET...hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2769&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1429162351632

It's not recommended, but if you want to see if it makes a difference then you could exclude the app from being scanned by ESET...hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2769&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1429162351632

This is exactly what I posted at first too. But then I thought twice and deleted my post.

The problem is you can exclude the app, but if you do then only the app (let's say C:\example\defrag.exe) isn't scanned.

But if you run a backup it accesses the whole disk (so not only the excluded file C:\example\defrag.exe) and as this defragging causes the slowdown (as the TS said) you would need to exclude the whole disk.

However I'm unsure about this "defrag slowdown". One thing is sure - this is not normal and other defrag programs work without any slowdown.

But I also don't know whether ESET really detects a kind of modification, because AFAIK defrag programs operate more or less on filesystem level and so these files are not moved in a different way and I'm not sure whether ESS detects this and how it behaves.

Edited by rugk

This is exactly what I posted at first too. But then I thought twice and deleted my post.

The problem is you can exclude the app, but if you do then only the app (let's say C:\example\defrag.exe) isn't scanned.

But if you run a backup it accesses the whole disk (so not only the excluded file C:\example\defrag.exe) and as this defragging causes the slowdown (as the TS said) you would need to exclude the whole disk.

However I'm unsure about this "defrag slowdown". One thing is sure - this is not normal and other defrag programs work without any slowdown.

But I also don't know whether ESET really detects a kind of modification, because AFAIK defrag programs operate more or less on filesystem level and so these files are not moved in a different way and I'm not sure whether ESS detects this and how it behaves.

Yeah I guess. In any case, I don't know if this defragger normally is a fast or slow app as I have never used it.  :unsure:

I thought to include an alternative suggestion in the posted but at the last second I decided not to do that before I posted.

And that was that he could take the computer offline, temporarily disable ESET, and start defragging to see if it makes a difference. And when done enable ESET again. That way he doesn't need to bother with exclusions, and the computer doesn't need to be online while he defrags it. Not an ideal permanent solution, but worth a try to see if it improves. If not, then maybe this particular defragging app isn't the fastest defragger in the world. But then I see no problem in that it takes a bit of time since one doesn't need to sit and wait for it to finish, start defragging and walk away and do something else for a while. Or he could try a few other defraggers to see if they are faster on his computer or not. But then we don't know how long time it takes and how slow it actually runs.