MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D

Since last week I've had a lot of endpoints constantly reporting a detection of PUA MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D through a URL of hxxp://msedge.b.tlu.dl.delivery.mp.microsoft.com/filestreamingservice/files/da017dea-34f8-4a9f-a3fd-27f1b9538600?P1=1713064064&P2=404&P3=2&P4=fulaPo4QR9S/WS3SD5GtKwD6I7rCD0ekRnphxx9HyVg4UoYv1w1QkB18QTqB+JSBXCC/d06MsUStOSDj6IWKVA== or similar

I'm wary of creating an exclusion and not having this detected so is there any way of resolving this? Is there any dialogue with Microsoft as I could see there was with the .A detection?

• Administrators

This probably happens because another Bing application was installed in the past (e.g. Bing Wallpaper). Do you remember allowing installation of such application? Isn't there a way to avoid downloading the above file? When is the detection triggered?

There aren't any Bing applications or similar on the PCs as far as I can tell. The detection is triggered when the endpoint accesses that URL so I assume it is a Windows app updating, most likelt Edge

NEW NOTIFICATION

Potentially unwanted application MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D was detected on computer cctv1

Detection type: Potentially unwanted application
Detection name: MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D
Computer name: 
Computer static group hierarchy: /All/Endpoint Security
Logged user:
Time of occurrence: 4/9/24, 9:10:17 AM UTC
Scanner: HTTP filter
Action performed: Connection terminated

• Administrators

Edge may download updates with a Bing application included if a Bing application was installed in the past. You can either create a detection exclusion or contact Microsoft to find out why they include the Bing application in Edge updates.

Microsoft has started changing the default search engine in Chromium browsers to Bing. This also means Chrome. This is what Eset is detecting as PUA activity and rightfully so.

10 minutes ago, danjacoyle said:

From the log files on one of the endpoints

Same detection I received;

Time;Scanner;Object type;Object;Detection;Action;User;Information;Hash;First seen here
4/2/2024 8:37:51 AM;Real-time file system protection;file;C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\DODD22.tmp;a variant of MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D potentially unwanted application;deleted;NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM;Event occurred on a file modified by the application: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (445F5F38365AF88EC29B357F4696F0E3EE50A1D8).;1E908ED6CF873C77790C7EE03CE1673BF2850B92;