MSIL/Microsoft.Bing.D - Potentially unwanted application found

Starting my PC this morning and received this notification.  This appears to be an actual Microsoft file?  Is this a false detection or an actual problem?

image.thumb.png.3b75d4e48e5a3c135542615e461bf6c2.png

• Administrators

You can create a detection exclusion for the Microsoft Bing application.

6 hours ago, DanRapp said:

Starting my PC this morning and received this notification.  This appears to be an actual Microsoft file?  Is this a false detection or an actual problem?

image.thumb.png.3b75d4e48e5a3c135542615e461bf6c2.png

Hello Dan,

I started rec'ing this notification from multiple workstations in my environment starting "Patch Tuesday" this week.  ESET appears to be deleting the installer, so, I've been ignoring it for the past two days; too swamped with other more important things.

Whether or not it's a false positive  seems to be a matter of perspective.  I'm not in favor of Microsoft's "update" philosophy so I consider these notices and ESET's blocking / deleting the install as confirmation that ESET is doing what I expect it to do. 

Edited by Sysadmin_DF

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 2:57 PM, Marcos said:

You can create a detection exclusion for the Microsoft Bing application.

Is this still the solution? I'm not very happy to exclude such an application like a browser that is exposed to the internet? Isn't it a problem from eset with copilot from bing? Cannot Eset update the detection-routine to work properly?

• Administrators

There is no problem with ESET, the problem is that Microsoft distributes the PUA with Edge updates. All you can do is either disabling detection of potentially unwanted applications (optional detection) or create a detection exclusion since it's probably impossible to make Microsoft not to distribute the PUA to you.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

There is no problem with ESET, the problem is that Microsoft distributes the PUA with Edge updates. All you can do is either disabling detection of potentially unwanted applications (optional detection) or create a detection exclusion since it's probably impossible to make Microsoft not to distribute the PUA to you.

For me, it IS a problem with ESET, when ESET shows a false positive with die Microsoft Edge, which is on almost every Windows-PC around the world.

Edited by RMa
typo

• Administrators

But it's not a false positive. MSIL/Microsoft.Bing is a correct detection / classification for an application that pushes users into changing the default search engine. Such applications meet the definition of potentially unwanted applications: https://support.eset.com/en/kb2629.