Error when attempting to install ESET

Hi,

(Environment: Windows 11)

I am trying to install ESET by a CURL-command provided by our IT-department.

curl https://eset.trifork.com/PROTECTAgentInstallerWindows.bat --output  "%USERPROFILE%\Downloads\PROTECTAgentInstaller.bat" && "%USERPROFILE%\Downloads\PROTECTAgentInstaller.bat"

The command downloads a BAT-file and executes it.

When the BAT-file is executed, it creates a VB-script (uacinstall.vbs) and attempts subsequently to execute it with the cscript-command.

One part of the VB-script does the following:

Dim objStream
    Set objStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    With objStream
        .Type = 1 'adTypeBinary
        .Open
        .Write binaryData

.SaveToFile strSaveTo
        .Close
    End With

However, the part failes with the error message:  uacinstall.vbs(135, 9) ADODB.Stream: Write to file failed

Hence the whole installation fails.

Any ideas how to solve my issue?

• Administrators

Most likely you're blocking execution of vbs scripts from the temp folder (C:\Users\%USER%\AppData\Local\Temp).

You can edit PROTECTAgentInstaller.bat and point %installDirectory% to other than the temp folder.

Actually, I have already tried it from another folder (c:\temp), but it does not seem to make any difference. It was also by moving and editing the installation files I was able to point at the exact failing location in the VB-script.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Joergen Rune Mortensen said:

Actually, I have already tried it from another folder (c:\temp), but it does not seem to make any difference. It was also by moving and editing the installation files I was able to point at the exact failing location in the VB-script.

Please provide a Procmon log from an attempt to run a modified installer that uses a different folder than "temp". Are you able to run other vbs scripts from there?

I have solved the problem.

My username in Windows is “Jørgen” with the Danish letter “ø”. For some reason, your installation script (VBS) translates that to “Jorgen”, hence the installation attempts to write to C:\Users\Jorgen\AppData\Local\Temp\.eset-127411619831130\sha256sum.exe, which does not exist.

By changing the installation script so it uses the username Jørgen instead og Jorgen and by changing the encoding of the script, I succeeded to make the installation.

To avoid similar issues, I will recommend ESET to update the script, so it handles special characters in the username.

• Administrators

I've created a user "Jørgen" and installed the management agent using the batch installer fine. Please raise a support ticket to find out why it was failing on your machine.