Lightweight Filter and the 90 seconds delay

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I hope you can help me with this.

I've installed ESET Smart Security 8 months ago, and since then, I noticed that Windows takes a while to recognize networks/routers and things like that, impeding me to use internet, for example, until 90 seconds have passed.

Obviously I've researched about this, and found a page of Microsoft that shows me what causes the problem. hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2019184

Apparently, is something that happens with Lightweight Filters, in this case, the 'Epfw NDIS Lightweight Filter" (a driver from ESET that 'provides network filtering in ESET Smart Security').

Do you have any solutions to this? I tried disabling this driver in the network adapter settings, but it has done nothing.

• Administrators

If disabling the lightweight filter driver in your network card properties didn't make any difference, why do you think the delay is caused by ESS?

Hi, thank you for answering.

I don't know if it's caused by the antivirus itself, but it has something to do with it and the Lightweight driver that it uses. This started to happen exactly when I installed ESET Smart Security 8, it never happened when I used ESS 4.

And the Microsoft support page says that those Lightweight drivers are the cause of the problem... So why couldn't the delay be associated to ESS?

I can provide you more information, if it's necessary to solve this problem.

Network drivers: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Version: 7.89.716.2014

Other network adapters: Hamachi, VirtualBox

• Administrators

Does switching firewall integration to "Personal firewall is completely disabled" make a difference? If not, what about renaming the following files in safe mode, one at a time?

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys

• Administrators

Do I have to rename those files to anything special?

Rename the files as you wish, e.g. to eamonm.sy and ehdrv.sy or simply temporarily move them to another folder.

However, given that neither disabling firewall, HIPS nor real-time protection driver helped, I tend to assume that the issue has nothing to do with ESET. Could you temporarily uninstall ESS to see if it actually makes a difference or not?