16.2.11.0 Update Blues

I tried updating ESET to v16.2, fortunately only after backing up my system.  The system was unusable afterwards.  I see mention of some of my issues already on this forum, but I thought I'd list them all together here to see if I can get a response about whether all of these issues will be fixed.  BTW, I use interactive mode, with various existing rules.

• When launching Firefox, for which I had an existing custom rule to allow http(s) access, after the update I started getting prompted that Firefox is trying to access "remote computer" 127.0.0.1 (the local computer).  Did some policy change regarding access the local computer?  I really don't want to have to modify all my rules for this.
  • When I click "advanced" while manually adding a permanent rule, it no longer shows the port and IP address.  and they're no longer added to the rule.  This is a huge problem.  I reviewed ESET before buying a license and this is part of the behavior I need.  Are you offering refunds?  I saw mention that this is "as intended," but I can't imagine why you would want to dumb down rule creation.  Your customers, especially those creating their own rules in interactive mode, aren't children.
  • The usage of firewall profiles has been modified to be much more difficult, IMO.  I had several custom profiles before.  Changing the profile is more difficult now, and I'm not even sure whether it has the same behavior.  Before, there was just a "default" profile in addition to the ones I created, but now there are various "public" and "private" network options.  Also, the profile is no longer shown in the list of firewall rules as a column, which makes managing the rules much more difficult.  I have to click into each rule to check the profile it's associated with.

I updated because I hoped it would have a useful improvement, like my suggestion (in the future improvements thread) of organizing all the rules on a per app basis, so that each app's rules can be edited separately (where rules are associated with an app).  Instead, get a ton of bugs.  Do you have a QA process?  How did this release pass testing?  Seems like anyone using interactive mode would have immediately hit multiple issues.

Edited by MrZork

I wondered myself how it was released or passed release in the botched up form it currently is.

I just switched to this software and sort of  buyers remorse.

They removed  the port & ip as they felt it was an improvement.

• Administrators

Switching to the pre-release update channel should resolve the communication problems. Most likely you've been using the policy-based firewall mode, other 3 modes were not affected.

17 hours ago, Marcos said:

Switching to the pre-release update channel should resolve the communication problems. Most likely you've been using the policy-based firewall mode, other 3 modes were not affected.

I'm not sure what you mean by "communication problems."  I'm using interactive mode, not policy mode.  This is fact, 100%.  Are you saying the the "pre-release" update will solve the first issue where I'm getting popups for IP 127.0.0.1 now where things were working fine before?  If that update won't fix this issue, what's the ETA for an update that will?

For the port and IP being removed from the advanced interactive rule creation, what's the ETA for a release that will add that feature back?  This feature, as I mentioned, played a role in me selecting ESET over its competition when I paid for a license.  If it's not restored, I will not be renewing my licenses.  Actually, I feel that I was taken already, as with the paid license I expected to receive updates, and this update is not usable.

For the last issue with profiles, can you concisely describe what the change was intended to achieve?  It's confusing to me, as I had several custom profiles, and then there was the (a single) default.  Now, in addition to my custom profiles, there seem to be choices for "public" or "private" profiles.  The profile is not shown and not available to be shown as a column in the firewall rules, making them harder to manage - I have to click into each rule to check its associated profiles.

I've already reverted to 16.1.14.0 and will stay at that version until these issues have been resolved, as especially the second issue (missing port/IP during rule creation) makes the product unusable for me.  You should consider making a mass refund available to your customers if you do not intend to revert this.

Edited by MrZork

• Administrators

Switching to the pre-release update channel should stop the firewall asking you about the communication on localhost; all communication would be allowed like it was before.

For the port and IP being removed from the advanced interactive rule creation, what's the ETA for a release that will add that feature back? 

These options will be re-added in v17 later this year.