Help with Win32/Jeefo.A

dafaher

Hello community, I hope everyone's doing well. I was wondering if you could help me. I've been having issues with this virus for a couple of weeks, and it looks like ESET Smart Security Premium isn't able to clean it. When I try to remedy it I get an error so I tried to remove it. According to ESET, the virus is eliminated but it always returns after a few days. It infected the file svchost.exe and it seems that it also infected other programs, such as Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, etc. Any idea on how to fix this issue? If possible, I would like to avoid having to format my pc, but at this point I'll do whatever it takes to get rid of it. Thanks in advance for any suggestion or help you can provide!

Post the related detection entry from the Eset Detections log. You can so by left button mouse click on the entry and select "Copy." Then paste into your forum reply.

Also, here's Eset's write up on this malware: https://www.virusradar.com/en/Win32_Jeefo.A/description

Edited by itman

58 minutes ago, itman said:

Post the related detection entry from the Eset Detections log. You can so by left button mouse click on the entry and select "Copy." Then paste into your forum reply.

Also, here's Eset's write up on this malware: https://www.virusradar.com/en/Win32_Jeefo.A/description

Thank you very much for your reply. I used the export option, so I'm attaching the file here, it's in spanish though. Thanks again!

ESET.txt

• Administrators

According to the logs, the infected files were either cleaned or deleted if they contained only the virus itself.

Make sure that all security updates available for your Windows system are installed. If you have folders shared with write permissions, I'd recommend changing the password for those accounts and consider disabling admin shares too, if not needed.

4 hours ago, Marcos said:

According to the logs, the infected files were either cleaned or deleted if they contained only the virus itself.

Make sure that all security updates available for your Windows system are installed. If you have folders shared with write permissions, I'd recommend changing the password for those accounts and consider disabling admin shares too, if not needed.

Hi Marcos, thank you very much for your reply! The problem is that after being cleaned or deleted, the virus continues to infect the same or other files, and it's been like that for almost 2 weeks. For example, yesterday I shared a log that included two infected files. Now, I was replying to you and ESET notified me that 9 new files were infected (logs attached). It is as if the virus wasn't cleaned after all, so it continues to infect everything in its path. I don't share folders or anything, and all the programs installed on my PC are original, with the latest security patches, including Windows. I deleted the folders and registry entries that this virus creates, but it seems that didn't help much.
I'm considering taking advantage of the weekend to format my pc, I didn't want to do it but I prefer to avoid more serious future problems. Thanks again!

Screenshot.jpg

New infected files.txt

• Administrators

The files are getting infected by the virus running on another machine in the network. It spreads via shares. That's why I suggested to change the password for accounts with write permissions and consider disabling admin shares as well. Make sure that ESET is installed on all machines in the network and run a full disk scan to make sure that the virus is not active and running.

You could enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Technical support, wait until the detection occurs (unless it takes longer), stop logging, collect logs with ESET Log Collector and upload the generated archive here.

Additional mitigations are;

1. Change Eset established network connection/s on your PC from Trusted to Untrusted. This will cause the Eset firewall to block all inbound local network connections to your device other than DHCP and DNS traffic.

2. Minimally, disable file and and printer sharing  service in Eset Firewall settings per below screen shot.

The result of either of the above will be you won't be able to access files on other devices within the local network or other devices on the local network.

Finally, this malware must be removed from all PC's on the local network. If it is left on just one PC, that device will continually infect all other PC's on the network.

Eset_SMB.thumb.png.bfd9dbdff1b9eab70f87d02c15609712.png

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, dafaher said:

I'm considering taking advantage of the weekend to format my pc, I didn't want to do it but I prefer to avoid more serious future problems.

This won't eliminate the issue. The minute your PC reconnects to the local network, you will be reinfected.

Win32/Jeefo.A is old worm malware dating to Win 2000 days. If a device running Win XP for example is connected to the local network, it is most likely the source of the malware.

Thank you so very much @Marcosand @itman, for all the information you provided to me. I had no idea it can be related to the local network, I thought it was just *.exe files. I guess I have some work ahead. I'll start right now, thanks again guys!

I also forgot to mention that worms can be spread through USB and NAS devices. Let's say an infected USB drive was connected to another PC on your network that does not scan the drive for malware by default as Eset does. It infects that PC. The infected PC then proceeds to infect all other PC's on the network.

Refs.:

https://www.makeuseof.com/dangerous-raspberry-robin-worm-targeting-windows-users/

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/what-are-autorun-worms-how-do-they-spread-how-to-remove-how-to-prevent

56 minutes ago, itman said:

I also forgot to mention that worms can be spread through USB and NAS devices. Let's say an infected USB drive was connected to another PC on your network that does not scan the drive for malware by default as Eset does. It infects that PC. The infected PC then proceeds to infect all other PC's on the network.

Refs.:

https://www.makeuseof.com/dangerous-raspberry-robin-worm-targeting-windows-users/

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/what-are-autorun-worms-how-do-they-spread-how-to-remove-how-to-prevent

Super useful info, I'll take a look at it now. Thank you very much!!