eset protect offer update for office 2007

kerm007

hello 

i have one user that when i check on the protect portal i see there is windows updates available for office 2007

i check on add remove program there is no office 2007 app installed but it keep proposing me the patch 

why is that ?

Thanks 

Suspect those Office 2007 updates are not legit:

Support for Office 2007 ended on October 10, 2017. All of your Office 2007 apps will continue to function. However, you could expose yourself to serious and potentially harmful security risks. Upgrade to a newer version of Office so you can stay up to date with all the latest features, patches, and security updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/end-of-support-for-office-2007-942272d3-bd72-4944-9f82-02ed307cf934

Question is why Eset Protect would even acknowledge them regardless if Office 2007 is installed or not.

4 minutes ago, kerm007 said:

but eset keep saying i have windows updates available

Check Control Panel -> Programs on that device again. Is Office 2017 installed? This could be a bug with Eset Protect properly detecting what Office ver. is installed.

• Administrators

You can run this Powershell script to determine if there are any Windows updates available:

$searcher = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Searcher

Write-Host "**********************************************************"
Write-Host "*** IsInstalled=0"

$objSearchResult = $Searcher.Search("IsInstalled=0")
foreach($objUpdate in $objSearchResult.Updates)
{
	Write-Host ( "                       UpdateID : {" + $objUpdate.Identity.UpdateID + "}" )
	Write-Host ( "                 RevisionNumber : " + $objUpdate.Identity.RevisionNumber )
	Write-Host ( "           InstallationBehavior : " + "CanRequestUserInput=" + $objUpdate.InstallationBehavior.CanRequestUserInput + ", Impact=" + $objUpdate.InstallationBehavior.Impact + ", RebootBehavior=" + $objUpdate.InstallationBehavior.RebootBehavior + ", RequiresNetworkConnectivity=" + $objUpdate.InstallationBehavior.RequiresNetworkConnectivity )
	$objUpdate
}

• Administrators

We merely query Windows for available updates, ie. do the very same what the above script does. It's a question for MS why it offers updates for Office 2007 that you don't have installed.

For various types of optional updates, please refer to https://www.howtogeek.com/751889/should-you-install-windows-10s-optional-driver-updates.

• Administrators

You may need to run the PowerShell console as an administrator or temporarily change executionpolicy to bypass for instance.

image.png