CPU usage 100% on Update

• Most Valued Members

Hi Catalin,

That's strange, I'm not able to reproduce this while downloading updates.

I was able to see the CPU get to 100% only when it was installing the updates for a few seconds, which is expected.

Do you experience any issues when downloading or installing updates?

Does the CPU gets that high for a short period of time for installing, or also downloading?

Does it continue to happen after restarting your Mac?

Are you using regular or pre-release updates?

Hi,

It's happen during update process ether is checking, downloading or installing. In my case no update found.

CPU stay at 100% until update (checking, downloading or installing) is finished.

I've restarted and even did a fresh 10.10 install. Same behaviour. No pre-release just regular updates.

• Most Valued Members

Oh, you are right - as soon as it begun checking for updates the CPU zoomed up to 100% until it was finished.

Don't know why it didn't do that the first time I tested it.

Edited by planet

You would think during updates, either network would be high, or disk activity.

However if updates are sent compressed and decompressed in any way, the cpu would be used for decompression, with moving using disk activity.

Can eset confirm an issue with cpu priority for updates? Can it be adjusted ?

• Most Valued Members

You would think during updates, either network would be high, or disk activity.

However if updates are sent compressed and decompressed in any way, the cpu would be used for decompression, with moving using disk activity.

You might be right. It's interesting because the CPU for esets_daemon shoots up the instant it gets to the 'update.ver' part (see screenshot in previous post), but if you try to update offline, it just shows 'Connecting...' for about five minutes but with no CPU difference (stays very low).

However looking at disk activity (and memory usage), esets_daemon barely did anything if there's isn't an update available even though the CPU went to 100% or over.

Its the only logical explaination.

Maybe ESET can check the code behind decompression or at least the API being used in the background, if updates come compressed for smaller size.

• 10 months later...
  • Most Valued Members

Happy to say that version 6.1.12.0 of ECS and ECSP improved the way updates are done and also resolved this CPU issue whilst updating. (Now only about 10% CPU for the first large VSD update).

Edited by planet